2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

interior paint question??

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 09:45 AM
Default interior paint question??

Over the weekend I decided that i was gettinbg bored with the gray interior in my eclipse and i decided that i was going to paint the interior black and white black being the dominant and white being the accent color so i started and just got finished with the back half of the car and i was putting the interior back in and ohh yeah and the paint i used was dupli-color vinyl spray paint it ended up working out quite well i really liked the end result of the back but then the paint started to chip off in certain parts but not in others i was wondering what the deal was and if i didnt clean it wel enough for the paint to stick or if its just bad paint or maybe just a bad idea haha..... any suggestions as to what i should do about that???

thanks...chris

Old 07-25-2007, 10:24 AM
Default RE: interior paint question??

Use Krylon FUSION paint.
Its made specifically for plastics and vinyls.
Works great on interiors with 2 coats.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:25 AM

Clean the parts with paint thinner, rub em lightly or it can **** em up. Then let em dry for a few minutes and spray em down... Duplicolor is nice... but I used the "fusion" paint they sell, its plastic specific. My 2G interior (which Ill get picks of soon) has held up for 3 years that way w/o a repaint. YOull also find that cleaning the surface of the newly painted parts is easy as hell wih that stuff on there.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:49 AM

To get that other color off use Dupont Plas-Stick spray (A-232OS) it will take off the color. I used SEM color coat on my own car and it looks great no problems with Peeling. I got sick of that grey too and changed it to black and it looks like stock black. The color I used was called Landau Black it looks great. Just follow directions on the can and it works great mak sure u use a good cleaner degreaser along with Dupont Cleaner calledPlas-Stick then use Vinyl prep to help it stick and color better lastly color coat.. I ended up using 6 or 7 cans of SEM and 1 PLas-Stick and2 Vinyl prep.If u get any overspray on any windows don't worry the Dupont Plastick takes it off like its nothing. I'll up some pics later if I get a chance.

Old 07-25-2007, 02:47 PM

ORIGINAL: youngowner

Over the weekend I decided that i was gettinbg bored with the gray interior in my eclipse and i decided that i was going to paint the interior black and white black being the dominant and white being the accent color so i started and just got finished with the back half of the car and i was putting the interior back in and ohh yeah and the paint i used was dupli-color vinyl spray paint it ended up working out quite well i really liked the end result of the back but then the paint started to chip off in certain parts but not in others i was wondering what the deal was and if i didnt clean it wel enough for the paint to stick or if its just bad paint or maybe just a bad idea haha..... any suggestions as to what i should do about that???

thanks...chris
yo can i c some pics of ur interior? cause i want to paint mine to.

Old 07-25-2007, 05:18 PM

^^^^I'll have pics tomorrow friday at the latest depends when I get my car back

Old 07-25-2007, 08:58 PM

if it looks stock and not extra glossy, pass me the tip, cuz my dashkit on my eclipse... was suppossed to be black.......... but its diluting to grey?!?!?!?! WTF!?

Old 07-25-2007, 10:11 PM

i used the fusion paint... it works great, and if you want it to look stock, then go with flat black... i painted it gloss and it looked like i painted it... but then i painted it flat black and it looks SWEET! ive gotten comments about "yea, that looks stock!"... so i'd say that's the way to go

Old 07-27-2007, 03:21 AM

There was a middle term right? between gloss and flat right? was it matte? no, it was satin or some stuff like that wasnt it? AAAANYWAYS would you mind sending me or posting some pics sometime i really wanna repaint some fading parts... but im afraid it'll look all plastic, fake extra gloss ricey thing... it would be REALLY helpful....

Old 07-27-2007, 08:07 AM

yea satin is what i mean... satin it just a "fancy" word for flat... i'll try to get some pics, my interior's all pulled apart right now.... but yea, go with satin, it wont be glossy at all, you'll have a flat black that'll lookl like it came from the factory like that

Quick Reply: interior paint question??