2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

I've got problems....

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006 | 09:13 PM
Default I've got problems....

I bought the Greddy Type RS, thinking that the stock BOV was causing my ****ty performance, but of course, it didn't help.

Since the day I bought it, I cant get to the redline. The car will pull to about 4,000rpms, then the turbo gets loud, and there is no acceleration, no power, feels like Im coasting. It also sounds like somethings going to pop or the engine is going to backfire. It feels like theres a parachute holding back my car.

The car is a 98 GST, it came with a 16G turbo, MBC, and bigger exhaust, but the dealership I bought it from put on a universal cat because it didnt have one. Since then I've put an intake, bov, and super afc2, and nothing seems to make any difference. Next on the list is injectors, of course, but i really think Im going to freak out if I get those injectors and it doesn't fix the problem. but then again, maybe that is the whole problem, Im still somewhat new to this. I've checked numerous times for any boost leaks, and I had my mechanic check too. everything looks good.

The way my car is now, I'm sure a non-turbo eclipse is faster.

My boost gauge never goes past 15psi, but then again, I usually let off once it gets loud and sounds like its going to blow up.

I noticed that my MBC may have been hooked up wrong, one hose ran to the turbo/wastegate, can't see exactly where it goes, the other to the nipple on the intake. I removed the hose from the intake and connected it to the BOV hose that goes to the intake manifold. I used 2 T fittings so its the same hose my boost gauge is on. Let me know if this is wrong. My boost gauge reads lower PSI now, but starts doing the really loud, slow thing at lower RPMS.

So I am really starting to worry that I wasted $10,000 on this thing. It seemed to run so good before I bought it, or maybe I was just pumped that I found an eclipse around here. I feel like an idiot.

Please give me any comments or suggestions, I am desperate to get this thing running right. That would be sweet.

Old 07-21-2006 | 09:38 PM
Default RE: I've got problems....

maybe you should change out your fuel pump!!!

Old 07-22-2006 | 04:07 AM

i had this same problem when i got my 16g and safc2...i will get back with you soon, i gotta go back and think what i did to fix it

Old 07-22-2006 | 09:19 AM
Super Moderator

have you replaced the fual filter?

Old 07-22-2006 | 04:36 PM
Banned

Something fuel related... either your injectors or fuel pump. Something is being maxed out.

Off topic i know... but on my way from the Castle Coombe rally day my car boosted 19psi and held it without hitting fuel cut or anything... WTF??? Can anyone explain?

Old 07-22-2006 | 05:36 PM

mine has held 22without fuel cut, hell it hit 25 before a fuel cut. BTW im talking about my dads gsx, not my talon

Old 07-22-2006 | 06:37 PM
Banned

Does fuel cut only kick in at like redline?

Old 07-22-2006 | 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

kinda a stupid question but are you venting

Old 07-22-2006 | 10:05 PM

Installed the 190lph and replaced fuel filter. My wideband reads rich when it happens. Sorry for venting by the way. Thing just pisses me off sometimes.. I'll throw some more money at it.

Old 07-23-2006 | 07:35 AM
Banned

Im venting too... not out of choice. As soon as i find the bits to change it i will...

Quick Reply: I've got problems....