2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

just bought a 96 eclipse gs-t,i need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 01:02 AM
Default just bought a 96 eclipse gs-t,i need help!!!

Im new to mitsubishis and i just bought a 96 eclipse gs-t,i needed a car asap,because i crashed my car,and the car was only 1300$,the car is in good condition cosmetically,the car already comes with a greddy type-s blowout valve,k&n intake,tokico shocks and springs,its manual,and the engine only has 83,000 miles on it,but the engine is blown,there was a bent rod which hit the block and cracked it,whats the best thing i should do?!Also one more the car still has the stock intercooler,i wanna replace it with an aftermarket intercooler maybe like a greddy,do i need to make any adjustment for that??

Old 09-07-2006, 01:55 AM
Default RE: just bought a 96 eclipse gs-t,i need help!!!

For the FMIC, yes you do need to do a couple adjustments. You definitely want a bigger turbo first (with supporting mods). You will lose power with a FMIC and the stock turbo. I am not too sure about the Big SMIC, that might help.... not too sure on those. Once you get the FMIC you will need to do a couple adjustments too. Like bumper trimming, smaller fan, etc.

Now that you got this car. You might want to think about a full tune up. Maybe even get the timing belt replaced, etc. Make sure its in tip top condition before doing any performance.

Oh yeah, the engine is blown... get it rebuilt. Maybe even port and polish the heads.

Old 09-07-2006, 04:16 PM

wow dude you need to just stop....all the bs you just said ment nothing. Get a full tune up lol what his motors f**ked!!! If you needed wheels ASAP why would you buy a car with a cracked block. I can see if you bought it as a project car....that would be a different story. Well the first thing i would do is forget about the intercooler for now and try to find a used 6 bolt off the internet. You MIGHT get lucky and find a 7 bolt sitting in a salvage yard somewhere. Thats really the only thing you can do for now.

Old 09-07-2006, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

why would finding a 7 bolt be lucky. Those cars are everywhere, and besides why would you want a 7-bolt

Old 09-07-2006, 04:38 PM

I didnt notice until i read further, that his engine was blown. I just wrote as i read. Damn, my fault. Just trying to help.

Old 09-07-2006, 05:09 PM

ORIGINAL: DixonsGst

wow dude you need to just stop....all the bs you just said ment nothing. Get a full tune up lol what his motors f**ked!!!
He was just making a point that all the other mechanical things might be getting worn down, and a tune up is in order. A bad engine is only one part of hundreds in a car. You cant just fix the engine and expect it all to be happy and work right.

Old 09-07-2006, 10:04 PM

Thanks Jeffisdecentttttt. Appreciate it.

Old 09-07-2006, 10:35 PM

well, theirs a bunch of things you can do

One would be to visit the junkyard and order a 7 bolt shot block and just drop it in. Another is to get a 6 bolt long block and swap it... but you do have to replace some misc parts, Or you can build it from the ground up. And theirs all different places inbetween. Good luck with what ever you do and feel free to ask questions. Just try to search first when it comes to performance upgrades, its all been beaten to death.

Old 09-07-2006, 10:52 PM

we need a moto... how about "7-bolt = crankwalk", simple and sweet

Old 09-07-2006, 11:34 PM

ORIGINAL: estraw

we need a moto... how about "7-bolt = crankwalk", simple and sweet
Not all 7 bolts crank walk, I have seen 7 bolts go up to as high as 350hp with out any problems untill the car ended up in the junkyard. The only reason a motor will walk is rom excessive abuse and holding the clutch down for a extended peroid of time putting added pressure on the crank. The worst year for walking motors seem to be 99's other then that its a hit or miss... or how the motor was treated its whole life.

Quick Reply: just bought a 96 eclipse gs-t,i need help!!!