2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Just bought my first car. Update: First problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 01:51 AM
Default Just bought my first car. Update: First problem?

Been looking for months now and I think I made the right choice. Mitsubishi eclipse rs. I know it doesn't have the greatest engine with turbo etc... I figured I already have little money and I really only need a car to get around the city. This is the link I got it from
Cars.com (car pics no longer available, btw...silvercoupe97)
and I was suprised on how great condition it was in. The headgasket was already replaced, no leaks and all the known engine problems have been taken care of. I got the car for 5000, he originally asked 6k then brought it down to 5250. What I would like to know is what the true gas mileage is on this car, would insurance be high? I figured it wouldn't be too high, but then again I am probably wrong.Once again, I know its not manual but I think i was lucky to find this car in my area, since the car market in ohio isn't too great. I was going to replace the stock radio first, since it sounded like a pos. Whats the first upgrade I should work towards at? Any other comments would be helpful.I always thought the eclipse was aimed at chicks but this car looked fine to me. I think the newer generation is a bit aimed more to women but thats just my opinion. I just signed up, so thanks for the help and comments.

**link shortened to keep page size down**

Old 04-09-2007, 01:53 AM
Banned
Default RE: Just bought my first car.

You overpaid hugely

Old 04-09-2007, 01:56 AM

In ohio, theres not much out here, it was only a few miles from my house. I mean I was looking at a honda yesterday with 145,000 miles for 5600. That was just a civic and this is very common in my area. I knew i was going to get flamed but I look at the kbb value and it was already below it. I would say that the car is in good condition and for that price, its at 6k. Also this car has the same engine as my moms dodge stratus, so working on the engine wouldn't be a big difference. I mean look at http://dayton.craigslist.org/car/
The prices are significantly different than someone as california.

Old 04-09-2007, 02:03 AM
Banned

Im not flaming you dude at all. You havnt done anything wrong. I was just letting you know, thats double what the car is worth

Old 04-09-2007, 02:11 AM

i didn't think you were flamming me,actually your helping with the comments, i was just showing i wasn't a total idiot on my part when buying the car lol. I could have probably negotiated a little more but the car is in great shape, only 80k miles in 9 years. Thats considered low mileage on my part.

Old 04-09-2007, 02:13 AM
Banned

Its all good man lol

Old 04-09-2007, 02:39 AM

5000 for a 98RS with 80,000 miles aint that bad. I wouldnt say thats double the value. You could get some beat to death car with paint peeling off and ripped up seats for 2500. From the pics the paint looks good still and the intertior doesnt look bad from what I see.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:23 AM

i paid 5500 for my gsx, had to drive 5 hours for it, but she's completely stock save for the 18s on it. i don't know if thats a good deal but i ertainly hope it was lol

Old 04-09-2007, 10:20 AM

I payed 6200 for my TSi... that had a bunch of **** done to it... that I was barely even aware of, lol.... Thats much too much for a 420a....

Old 04-09-2007, 01:10 PM

damn.. considering the prices u guys paid for ur gsxs... i feel bad that i live in new york.. cheapest one i can find is around 8000 for a 97.. that includes lookin into new jersey and connecticut.. im just gonna keep lookin...

Quick Reply: Just bought my first car. Update: First problem?