2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Just bought my first car. Update: First problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 09:41 PM
Default RE: Just bought my first car.

ORIGINAL: kryptekz

The timing belt has already been replaced. Though why is insurance so damn high?
Your first cars insurance will always be a little pricey b/c of your age.
Its gets better over time with no accidents, no tickets, and payments on time.
Every 6mnths it will drop a little.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:22 PM

I paid $2,700 for my red1995 GS-T and 2 and half years ago I paid $3,000 for my 1995 dark green GS-T. Geez 5,000 just seems like a lot to me for a RS, but if its innice conditionandyour happy with it all the power to ya.

Old 04-09-2007, 11:58 PM

yeah.... mine is 274 a month... 6 tickets 1 wreck... 20 male. yeap i'm doing great.

Old 04-10-2007, 12:56 AM

How safe is the car actually, as in crash test ratings? Also I was looking up reviews and I really saw a majority of bad reviews. I figured the engine in the rs isn't that strong, and its known for the headgasket to blow at 60k. Though the owner had it replaced already, new headgasket, waterpump, belt, all that good stuff. How long do you think it should last, I was hoping up to 160k if maintained well. I was really interested in a honda, but you see them everywhere here. Honda's quality is superb but I figured I'll get one later. I was suprised though on how they put the same exact engine as my moms dodge stratus, the only difference is the 2.0 liter to the 2.4. I haven't driven the car too much, but its supposed to be insured tommorow. I am not the type of driver to race or push on the engine too hard. I am not really going to put modifications on it either, just want it to keep it stock and simple. Is the transmission known to go out at some xxxxmiles? Its an auto so that should affect it.

Old 04-10-2007, 01:02 AM

How safe is the car actually, as in crash test ratings? Also I was looking up reviews and I really saw a majority of bad reviews. I figured the engine in the rs isn't that strong, and its known for the headgasket to blow at 60k. Though the owner had it replaced already, new headgasket, waterpump, belt, all that good stuff. How long do you think it should last, I was hoping up to 160k if maintained well. I was really interested in a honda, but you see them everywhere here. Honda's quality is superb but I figured I'll get one later. I was suprised though on how they put the same exact engine as my moms dodge stratus, the only difference is the 2.0 liter to the 2.4. I haven't driven the car too much, but its supposed to be insured tommorow. I am not the type of driver to race or push on the engine too hard. I am not really going to put modifications on it either, just want it to keep it stock and simple. Is the transmission known to go out at some xxxxmiles? Its an auto so that should affect it.
If you just do your normal day to day driving and don't hot rod the car, and keep up on your maintanence, the car will give you MANY miles.
As far as the crash test goes, yes they don't have the most impressive marks, but I have read some bad stories where the drivers came out ok.
Even in the safest of cars, you can still die in a crash.
As far as the tranny, the reason they stated mine exploded was an 'internal failure due to dirty fluid"... which was b/s cuz it was flushed when I bought it.
But its like I said, if you just take good care of the car (oil changed every 3k, belts ok, other fluids clean,etc), leave it stock ( or slightly personalized), and don't rag it b/c its an Eclipse and looks fast, the car will definitley be a good one for you.

Welcome to the forums and as you can tell, we're very helpful here unless you start off being a dick, like some current members who I won't say.
If you have a question though, I do suggest using the search feature, b/c its probally been discussed.
If you can't yet find your answer, then ask and one of is WILL know.
Hope you like the RS, I love mine.

Old 04-10-2007, 01:05 AM

I am very thankful for the help you have given me, even when iam new. Thanks for the help and I plan not be a ******* in the near future. lol

Old 04-10-2007, 01:11 AM

I am very thankful for the help you have given me, even when iam new. Thanks for the help and I plan not be a ******* in the near future. lol
Cool.
Just stay and talk s**t with us. Its fun.
You'll discover how awesome this forum is.
I'm addicted to it.
Everyone here kicks ***.

Old 04-10-2007, 02:46 AM

this forum has saved me a lot of money in the long run. these guys know anything there is to know about these cars.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:47 AM

I live in NJ and my gsx for liability is 1400 a year. I have 3 insurance points that drop this month from an accident in the ice (slid off theroad no police tickets) and im 22. Before that it was like 1600 for full coverage when i was 19. This on my moms policy. Your insuracne is going to depend on what state you live in big time.

I also got a quote on my moms 03 malibu for full coverage last month with my 3 insurance points and full coverage is about 1500 a year. I dropped my insurance for 3 years from full coverage to liability on my gsx so there was no price difference in the insurance just so the **** sucking insurance company doesnt get any of the insurance money they gave me back. Thank god I didnt get into any accidents in that 3 year period.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:20 AM

My insurance is insane... anyone whos read the "What cars have u owned?" thread by Nubian will know why, lol...

Quick Reply: Just bought my first car. Update: First problem?