2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

just a question

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 01:21 AM
Default just a question

on an eclipse gst.. is there a safety feature that wont let you start the car right away? becuz im getting pissed and about to beat the car.. i have been told its a safety feature.. then i started talking to a friend of mine and he said no.. i should be able to get in and start the car fine.. but for some unknown reason mitsu's hate me and always give me problems.. (prolly why i love them so much).. but in honesty @ 5:30am when im out of gas and have to stop and shut the car off.. and then it takes me 15 minutes to start it again it SUCKS!!! [:@]

Old 12-03-2004, 04:56 AM
Default RE: just a question

No there is no safety feature of the such on that year GS-T. It does sound however like the classic signs of coils going out. I'd probably start there.

Old 12-03-2004, 12:58 PM

Might be heat related, does it do it more consistently after you've been driving for longer periods of time? Or can you start it up in the morning, shut it off, and it won't start again?

Old 12-04-2004, 02:34 AM

i dont think it has anything to do with the heat...honestly, im stumped, ive neevr heard this; i thought i had trouble oepneing my damn gas tank, thats a bitch with that lever...lol; neways, my best advice for you, is to go to your mitsu dealer; it neevr hurts to befriend a mechanic..

Old 12-04-2004, 03:38 AM

ok.. no it does it to me everytime i try to start it.. VERY RARELY i try to start it and it starts on like the 3rd time.. but for the most part.. it takes me about 15 minutes to get the car started.. i have some mechanic friends.. and for some reason i had been trying to start it that morning and it was giving me problems.. then when he came to see me later at work.. i asked him and he said he had never heard of that safety feature that i should be able to just get in and start it.. he said it sounded to him like something with the fuel.. but i wanted another opinion or to talk to someone who has gone through this also.. and yes i am pushing the clutch all that way to the floor (i maybe a girl & may not know a lot about cars, but i know how to drive stick ) as for going to the dealership.. the one and only mitsu dealer around me is a dealer anymore.. LOL.. and burnt (i hope) said it best stealership.. so true.. 4 years ago when i bought my 91 gs the spark plug wires melted together and they charged me $187 plus sold me a $300 idle speed controller (which i didnt need) grand total $587 until it was all done.. needless to say i decided i was going to start workin on my own car!!

Old 12-04-2004, 04:43 AM

Are you sure it isn't a starter related problem? If you think its a fuel problem then after the car sits for a while do you smell fuel anywhere? Perhaps the fuel pump isn't putting out the correct pressure?

Old 12-04-2004, 04:20 PM

Does it crank or turn over? Or do any lights or anything turn on? You guys are missing an important step....The key ignition system!!! If you just turn the key all the way and no crank or anything, i'm guessing the key ignition is grounding out somewhere. Not uncommon, but it doesn't happen very often. Just have some of your mechanice friends check all the grounding points for the ignition and starter. I've seen it happen on a toyota camry v6. The starter ground wire wasn't tightened up all the way, and the car just wouldn't start. Then they took it to a Protech and paid them $55 to tighten a bolt....not cool. But yeah, just double check all grounding points.

Old 12-05-2004, 03:31 AM

So I know you said you were having a problem starting it after you shut it off but do you also have problems starting it in the first place?

Old 12-06-2004, 07:58 PM

Could very well be the starter. It seems like a few people including myself have had to replace their starters on their eclipses. Make sure someone can diagnose the problem before you put any money into replacing a part that you may not need.

Old 12-06-2004, 11:36 PM

Yeah guys, these parts don't last forever. I hate to bring you all down, but your cars are atleast 6 years old now. Well from 6 to 11 years old....anyways, some stuff is gonna need replacing. Oxidation starts to build up, parts start to fail, not good stuff. For all you guys that work on your own cars, you should defintely go through the engine bay and make sure everything is in good order, no corrosion or build up of any kind, no rust, everythings tightened. Just basic car care.

Quick Reply: just a question