2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Keyless Entry question

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 07:52 PM
Default Keyless Entry question

Hi,

I was just wondering whether the keyless entry control unit is in easy reach in the Eclipse GS, 1996, and easy to program? I have a keyless + alarm functionality in the car but the owner had lost the remote coming with the car. I just bought a keyless entry for my Eclipse this week from eBay for 20 bucks and I went to the Mitsubishi Dealer to get it programmed but the guy there shouted at me for I have bought the remote online and not from them (they sell them for 145 plus 75 for programming) and said that in the Eclipse family there could be 3 possible keyless entries because they are produced from 3 different manifacturers and he asked for 70 bucks just to check that and additional 70 for configuring it if it matches, else I will have to throw it away. Does anyone knows whether the information could be obtained from somewhere and/or the remote could be programmed without the dealer.

Could you guys please help me or I should throw the remote as it is useless now?

Thank you,

Svetlin

Old 10-16-2004, 08:08 PM
Default RE: Keyless Entry question

i cant really help you out too much because im kinda in the same situation myself. but mines a 99 eclipse GS and the girl i bought it from had lost the original key along with the remote also. i called the dealer and they told me the key would be $15 and the remote would be $130 or somewhere around there. my idea was to just buy a whole new alarm system and remove the remainig stock system. im not completely positive that its going to be that easy ( i do know you will have to work around the existing system and see whats hooked into the computer, the ignition, and the door locks, etc..) i kow its not much help but its somethin to think about. let me know what you find out and ill do the same
yaterz

Old 10-16-2004, 08:28 PM

Hi,

I am currently searching for documentation on where this unit is but I could not seem to find any online. I guess if the dealer could do it in 1 hour - 70 bucks is an hour rate for them then it should not be really hidden in the car but still I need to know the exact place. I am searching some forums of Mitsubishi now but no luck yet

Old 10-16-2004, 08:56 PM

hey
yea i couldnt find anything in the "haynes" manual either
there is nothing about the security sytem at all in that manual
i had a problem with it going off all the time (still havent fixed that) but at least now i know how to turn the stupid thing off when im around it.
its raining right now or id go out and check it out myself i know we have different year cars but it shouldnt be too much different
keep em posted
yaterz

Old 10-16-2004, 09:07 PM

i had the same problem with it goin off all the time, all i did was remove the fuse, it can still go off unless when you lock the car have the key in the ignition and with the car turned off but the radio on, so ignition switch in the on position, lock both doors manually, then turn the ignigtion switch off and remove the key, thats the only way ive found to override the security system.......... anybody know why the security system is still active with the fuse removed, is it an override to make sure the car doesnt get stolen?

Old 10-16-2004, 09:09 PM

oh, i also removed the door lock fuse so the electic locks wont work either........... but its better than getting up a 2:30 in the a.m. to turn the damn alarm off when its 35 degrees outside..............

Old 10-16-2004, 09:26 PM

Then I should try not to turn my alarm on but thee keyless unit should be in the exact same place as the alarm. Where exactly is that fuse for the alarm - is it in the front or somewhere in the dash cabling?

> JoJoClipse
We might have different year Eclipses but they are both 2G so they should have very little differences in that part of the cars.

Old 10-16-2004, 09:34 PM

wow
1398spdr definitely blew my mind with all of that
i dont lock it at my house because i dont really need to and when im not at my house i will lock it because most likely im not around to hear it go off. i tried takin the fuse to the horn out once and found out the security system has its own "horn" or whatever. i still think the best bet is to just get a new system so that way you can get what you want and not have to deal with the mitsu dealer anymore. i jst gotta figure out whats connected to what involving the stock security sytem. i'll start workin on that soon most likely and i'll keep it posted under here.
thx again
yaterz

Old 10-16-2004, 09:51 PM

the fuse for the alarm and door locks is on the drivers side under the dash with some other fuses, the fuse cover should have the position of them, if you dont have a fuse cover, let me know and ill look and get you the position of them, the alarm i believe is a 15 amp fuse and the door locks i believe are 10 amp............
oh, and i WILL NOT deal with the stealership anymore, i would recomend finding a good mechanic you trust if you need one, im lucky my old man works for subaru and one of the mechs there used to work for mitsu as a mech, so i have him work on my car, its cheaper that way too..........

Old 10-16-2004, 10:03 PM

yea havin a good mechanic hook-up is definitely something everyone needs. my uncle, cousin and i run a "shop" called R&D automotive (Ripoff and Disaster Auto) and my unc knows everything about every car any of us has ever had. just got done talkin to him and i think we are going to try the security system out next weekend just to see where it is and what its attached to. i have a question that i didnt really want to post but i guess i have to...id just rather do it where its not so publicized...what does DSM stand for and do i have one? i have a 99 eclipse GS 2.0 DOHC 16v.....whats the deal?
thx a bunch
yaterz

Quick Reply: Keyless Entry question