2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Lossing water in radiator help

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 12:32 AM
Default Lossing water in radiator help

Guys I've been having some problems with my GST. It over heated acouple of times already. I bought a new radiator, radiator cap and thermostat. It seems that the car is not overheating again. But this is what is happening I've been lossing water in my radiator. Every time i drive it for a while I need to add water to it. I only have water in the radiator there is no coolant. I checked the oil and there is no water in it nor there is smoke coming from the exaust. What cold be that I'm loosing water? Can any one help me? thanks..

Old 11-14-2006, 01:38 AM
Default RE: Lossing water in radiator help

The water is probably evaporating. A coolant mixture helps keep it from evaporating so quickly. Add at least a 30/70 water/coolant mixture and it should be fine. A 50/50 mixture is good to since they sell coolant in a premixed bottle, you just won't get 50/50 because the motor is already filled with water.

Old 11-14-2006, 10:05 AM

true that water evaporates quicker than the coolant but it shouldn't happen as fast as he is describing, YES most definatly add some coolent to it, but i would check your heater hoses. i had one blow on my car about 4-5 months back and as soon as i put more coolent in, it was gone. Be thankfull you aren't seeing smoke!!!!!

Old 11-14-2006, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

They make a tool to check that. It basically replaces the radiator cap and there is a hand pump on the tool. You pump it up to around 18 PSI on the cooling system and wait 10-15 minutes to see if any bleeds off. You may have a leak somewhere if it does.

Old 11-14-2006, 11:13 PM

I will add the coolant. But I'm sure that nothing leaks because I don't see any water under the car... Thanks guys..

Old 11-14-2006, 11:15 PM

It doesn't have to leak, water will evaporate.

Old 11-14-2006, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

That doesn't mean no leak just means that the leak isn't big enough to see pouring out or that it's going somewhere you're NOT seeing possibly.

Old 11-14-2006, 11:19 PM

ORIGINAL: Sanguinius

That doesn't mean no leak just means that the leak isn't big enough to see pouring out or that it's going somewhere you're NOT seeing possibly.
and since it's only water, it may be evaporating before it even drops to the ground.

Old 11-14-2006, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator

Exactly my point. Even antifreeze. I just replaced the lower radiator hose on a ford that was spraying straight up onto the radiator. She never saw it coming till the car tried to overheat. It was a pinhole leak and undetectable without the telltale green on the backside of the radiator from the spray. Also using straight water if it's a spray coming from somewhere and hitting the ground later it could be mistaken for dew in the AM or even absorbed before you even see it.

Old 11-15-2006, 12:18 AM

also wouldnt run straight water when it gets cold outside b/c the water could freeze up. all depends on where you live

Quick Reply: Lossing water in radiator help