2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Lossing water in radiator help

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Lossing water in radiator help

There's an item and I'm not sure how much it costs, but what it is is basically 2 plastic tubes about the size of paper towel rolls but 1/4 of the height. One will have a rubber piece that is tapered to seal on the radiator fill and the other will connect to the first cylinder. Then you fill the 2nd to the line with a chemical and attach a bulb to the top. Squeeze the bulb 5 times and if the liquid changed color there is exhaust gas in the coolant. If there is exhaust gas in the coolant then you have a blown head gasket. I can't remember what exactly the item is called. Silver can you help me out on this one (I KNOW you know what I'm talking about).

Old 11-26-2006, 08:39 PM

Lol, I do know what you're talking about. I've looked at it a few times in autoparts stores before and thought to myself, "cool", lol.
I don't know the brand or name of it though.
I still think that the exhaust can help though. If it's being burnt up in the chambers then it will come out the exhaust to let you know that it's getting in.
The only other thing I can think of doing is to do a complete flush of the motor and it's lines and the radiator. Change the thermostat, the coolant sensors, one controls the fans and "talks" to the ECU, the other is for the dummy light. I want to say there's one for the fans alone, but I may be confusing this motor with my old 6g73.

Anyway, flush the entire system by running a hose through the radiator and completely flush it out and this will help you find any leaks in it or any "plugs". Flushing the motor will do the same, you should put the hose on both sides of the coolant tract (lower and upper radiator outlet and inlet hoses). Once your done, fill it with the 50/50 stuff, run your car, turn on the heater and make sure that it's blowing out hot air and not cool (cool means that there's a block in the lines coming or going from the motor to the heater core and you could be losing coolant from that).
That's the only other thing I can think of doing. I hope that helps.

Old 11-26-2006, 09:16 PM

water boils at 210, engine average 195-200 degreees, 50/50 mix good to 240 or higher, you boiling it off, put coolant in it, thats why they make it, since you overheated it you could have a head gasket leaking the WATER into the cylinder, which will not smoke out of the exhaust but come out as STEAM since there is no coolant to cause smoke- and you may not even notice it

Old 11-26-2006, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

I'm going to say that it's possibly the OTHER direction. He's not actually seeing "boiling" as he thinks but instead he's seeing the exhaust gasses that are getting into the water jacket bubbling up and out the radiator. He's not seeing the coolant go away or burn off because the pressure of the gasses going into the radiator is pushing the radiator relief open and pushing coolant into the overflow and out the overflow tank. Check the level of the coolant overflow. Empty it to the proper level (Or a little lower) drive the car a bit and see if the level of the overflow is higher after running the engine a bit.

Old 11-27-2006, 12:00 AM

Good direction Sang [sm=smiley20.gif]. That's what I would look at too.

Old 11-27-2006, 12:38 AM

well the water that was in the overflow tank was about the same level before I drove the car. Plus I still see bubbling in the radiator when I 'm trying to add water. I already filled the radiator with 50/50 mix. Also I do not see any white smoke coming out from the exhaust. I already change one of the sensors that is aattached under the thermo stat. I just don't know what to so next.

Old 11-27-2006, 12:42 AM

When your motor is cold, have you checked the fluid level under the cap? If so, was it indicating full, half, or empty?
If it's empty while the resevoir is full or the same level, there is either a block to the resevoir or the thermostat is not fully opening or just not opening at all. The resevoir will stay the same level if nothing is going into it btw.

Oh yeah, it could also mean that the cap isn't fully sealing up the system, in other words, losing pressure. With a fully pressurized system, even with just water, you will lose very little even after a drive. The steam (excess pressure) will just be pushed out of the resevoir if everything is working correctly.

Old 11-27-2006, 12:47 AM

which cap do you mean? the radiator cap or the reservoir?

Old 11-27-2006, 12:51 AM

Radiator cap. Look at the rubber gasket and you'll have to judge whether or not it is sealing up properly.

Old 11-27-2006, 01:45 AM
Super Moderator

I don't remember but did you change the thermostat? If so are you sure it was put in right?

Quick Reply: Lossing water in radiator help