2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Main differences between 2nd and 3rd gen?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 11:52 PM
Default Main differences between 2nd and 3rd gen?

Hello,

I want to buy an Eclipse, but i'm not sure whether i should go for a 2nd (00-01) or 3rd generation (98-99). I like the looks on the 3G better, but it costs a lot more in registering fees/taxes where i live (because it's newer and have bigger engine).

So what i specifically is wondering is:

What would you buy, and why - if you had to choose between:

- 1998/1999 GS
- 2000/2001 GS

It must be GS or RS because of extremely high taxes/registering fees with bigger engines. Performance/acceleration/speed is not very important (if minor difference) - Handling, interiour, practicle stuff/features/equipment etc. is more important.

Thanks!

Old 10-07-2005, 11:57 PM
Default RE: What's the main differences between 2nd and 3rd gen?

i'd get an older version...but that's only because i think they look better...if you're looking for something like, what's the difference in the engine and all that jazz...well i can't help you, but there are alot of "smarter" people on here who can help you, like pumpkin' (outlander) and darlin' (Sang).

Old 10-08-2005, 12:56 AM
Default RE: Main differences between 2nd and 3rd gen?

The outside of the 3G eclipse is a love or hate, it all depends on the person taste. Mitsubishi went away from the 2G car and built the 3G with more luxury and confort in mind. The 3G sacrificed the handling for a better ride, the inside is a bit bigger and turbo's and all wheel drive were put away for a larger motor. The inside is a big difference too, it was changed to look more modern than the old 2G. The dash board with all the curves, the round swivel vents outlets, there is a large LED read out on top of the dash with the radio info, temp, a compass and time. The radio and temp. controls look better and the door handles which Nissan copied in the 350Z look great. The interior just wraps around the driver almost like a cockpit, that's something I never felt out of the 2G cars.

Old 10-08-2005, 01:25 AM

Motor wise the 99/98 gs come with a 420a( 2.0 double over head cam) which is a bit of a lie its displacment is only 1.996 any who the motor is well built, kinda. In the long run its know to leek a bit of oil from the head gasket behind cyl 4, but thats in high millage motors, were talking 140k+. Also its a chrysler motor not a mitsu motor so parts are fairly cheap and can be baught at a mitsu dealer, dodge dealer, or any diamond star dealer. Its going to come with 17 inch crome wheels, rear hatch wiper, leather interior, abs, disc brakes all around. The rs dosent come with those luxuries but its 300 pounds lighter making it faster because it shares the 420a.

THe 00-02 have a 4g64 2.5 single over head cam motor. Its a mitsu motor which makes it a bit more reliable. BUt replacment parts for this motor can be a bit more expensive. and only found at a mitsu dealer. Chrysler started to pulled out of mitsu in 94 and finished by 99. Thats one reason for the style change in the 99-00. Also the 00-02 share the smae motor with the 2g gs spyder. Same goes for this Grand sport and rally sport editions, that is the leather and rims and what not.

Over all Id say go with the 00-02 just because you could run them into the ground and most of those cars have alot more life in them than the 2g's. But I sure od love me 420a and deff would trade its slow *** for a 3g.

Old 10-08-2005, 01:49 AM

ORIGINAL: slow420a

Motor wise the 99/98 gs come with a 420a( 2.0 double over head cam) which is a bit of a lie its displacment is only 1.996 any who the motor is well built, kinda. In the long run its know to leek a bit of oil from the head gasket behind cyl 4, but thats in high millage motors, were talking 140k+. Also its a chrysler motor not a mitsu motor so parts are fairly cheap and can be baught at a mitsu dealer, dodge dealer, or any diamond star dealer. Its going to come with 17 inch crome wheels, rear hatch wiper, leather interior, abs, disc brakes all around. The rs dosent come with those luxuries but its 300 pounds lighter making it faster because it shares the 420a.

THe 00-02 have a 4g64 2.5 single over head cam motor. Its a mitsu motor which makes it a bit more reliable. BUt replacment parts for this motor can be a bit more expensive. and only found at a mitsu dealer. Chrysler started to pulled out of mitsu in 94 and finished by 99. Thats one reason for the style change in the 99-00. Also the 00-02 share the smae motor with the 2g gs spyder. Same goes for this Grand sport and rally sport editions, that is the leather and rims and what not.

Over all Id say go with the 00-02 just because you could run them into the ground and most of those cars have alot more life in them than the 2g's. But I sure od love me 420a and deff would trade its slow *** for a 3g.
the 4G64 is 2.4l SOHC....you almost had it.

if you are looking for performance, id say go with the 3G. if you want looks, then go with the 2G(unless you like the look of the 3G).

Old 10-08-2005, 09:43 AM

ORIGINAL: eclipsed4u

ORIGINAL: slow420a

the 4G64 is 2.4l SOHC....you almost had it.

if you are looking for performance, id say go with the 3G. if you want looks, then go with the 2G(unless you like the look of the 3G).
**** I had a 2.5 on the brain, on 2g nt.com a member threw a 2.4 in his car with a stroker kit and made a 2.5. Single most coolest thing I have ever seen.

Old 10-08-2005, 09:57 AM

Well you can find 4G64 parts at a dodge dealer or a chrysler dealer seeing how the stratus and the sebring both used the 4G64 around the same time. parts are not expensive because that motor is a dime a dozen..I bought a full motor and head for $800 with only 3500miles on it. The 3G really isnt much slower than the 420a either it is alittle more torquey and heavier but it gets slightly more power. The average time in a stock 3G is around a low 17 the best time is high 16s. Now if I remember correctly the 420a powered 2Gs are in the same ballpark there. The thing with the 4G64 in the 3G is that it is a sinch to turbo charge, you can steal most parts from a 1G\2G and go with it or there are tons of kits out there that make around 275WHP(give or take) at only 8PSI and that is daily driven stock bottom end and running in safe measures.

The 2G spyder uses the 4G64 as well but it is flopped from the 3G it faces the opposite way in the engine bay so parts are not really interchangible

Old 10-08-2005, 12:41 PM

420A vs. 4g64....hmmm....i, go for 4g64 ( 3g's) more aftermarket parts compare to 420A'S.

Old 10-08-2005, 12:43 PM

the thing about 3G'S ...power to weight ratio sucks.

Old 10-08-2005, 02:02 PM

Thanks a lot for you're replies!

But i think you are focusing too much about the engine/performance.

I wonder what new features the 3G got, which 2G has not. Like Remote keys? Aircondition? Airbags? Sunroof? Power Door Locks/Mirrors?

Quick Reply: Main differences between 2nd and 3rd gen?