2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Major Problems with 2nd gen Eclipses?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 10:03 PM
Default Major Problems with 2nd gen Eclipses?

I've been wanting too buy a 2nd gen eclipse for awhile but everytime I talk too someone about them I get told not too buy one because they have alot of problems? I was wondering how true this is, and what are the major problems these cars have. I've read alot of reviews and havent seen too much bad stuff, only thing ive heard is that the tranny goes on the early, dunno how true that is. Any info would be great, thanks.

Old 06-12-2006, 10:09 PM
Banned
Default RE: Major Problems with 2nd gen Eclipses?

Well think about it this way. So many young people are buying them and trashing the **** out of them. Thats the only reason they have a bad name in the reliability department. Other than that your only real problem is crankwalk. Simply do a google search and you will find all the information you need on that. If you want a 2g eclipse that will not get this "crankwalk" then you need to find one that has had a 6 bolt swap.

Old 06-12-2006, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

Also do a regular search on here for crankwalk we have a few threads talking about it. But yeah find one that some kid hasn't had and beat the snot out of and you'll be good to go.

Old 06-12-2006, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator

It all does really depend on how well maintained it was. There are alot of nice ones out there that wont give you problems. But there are also alot of people that will buy one and will only get to drive it like once in five months becuase of problems. Im sure some people here can tell you all about that. Jeffisdecentttttt being one of them, haha

Old 06-13-2006, 12:51 AM

rofl. yeah. Just dont buy a turbo awd car for 3000 dollars, and you wont end up like me.

Old 06-13-2006, 12:55 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Jeffisdecentttttt

rofl. yeah. Just dont buy a turbo awd car for 3000 dollars, and you wont end up like me.
haha, i guess 3000 should have been a hint

Old 06-13-2006, 01:03 AM

I have a 2g eclipse with over 100,000 miles and the only thing I have ever done besides oil changes and timing belt is the head gasket because it had a slight leak. Other than that it runs great, and the tranny and clutch is still good.

Old 06-13-2006, 01:03 AM

its actually kind of ridiculous to find one of these cars for how common you would think they would be. im actually leveling out at about what excellent condition on kbb is, with a **** load of new stuff...Someday ill type up the hundreds of my receipts, and post everything on here.
I saved a lot of money though, going through my dads friend to rebuild the head.

just for your own good.....please....only buy an excellent condition dsm with low mileage, or you will have so many psychotic episodes, you just may get committed.

Old 06-13-2006, 01:04 AM

ORIGINAL: N/Teclipse

I have a 2g eclipse with over 100,000 miles and the only thing I have ever done besides oil changes and timing belt is the head gasket because it had a slight leak. Other than that it runs great, and the tranny and clutch is still good.

its all about the previous owner. you got lucky.

Old 06-13-2006, 01:24 AM

Yea I know, and the person I bought it off had no idea what she had. When I asked her over the phone which type of Eclipse it was(RS, GS, GST, GSW), she told me it was a red one with pretty silver rims, and that her boyfriend drilled holes in the exhuast to make it sound fast. Lol.

Quick Reply: Major Problems with 2nd gen Eclipses?