2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Major Problems with 2nd gen Eclipses?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 02:25 AM
Default RE: Major Problems with 2nd gen Eclipses?

Is there anything I can look for when test driving the car that will show signs of crankwalk in the future, the car im looking at right now is private so there wont be any warranty.

Old 06-13-2006, 04:13 AM

ORIGINAL: Bigdeez

Is there anything I can look for when test driving the car that will show signs of crankwalk in the future, the car im looking at right now is private so there wont be any warranty.

There is no real proven way to check for it, until it hits you...really hard...

If you want to be 100% safe, just buy a good condition one, and go the extra mile, and just get a 6 bolt bottom end swap. It doesnt really cost that much, and better safe than sorry.

Old 06-13-2006, 04:16 AM

ORIGINAL: N/Teclipse

Yea I know, and the person I bought it off had no idea what she had. When I asked her over the phone which type of Eclipse it was(RS, GS, GST, GSW), she told me it was a red one with pretty silver rims, and that her boyfriend drilled holes in the exhuast to make it sound fast. Lol.

ohhhh, i didnt even notice you had non turbo. you have a totally different engine. of course you have fewer problems.
you have the SLOW420A...its decently more dependable than the FASTUNDEPENDABLE4G63

Old 06-13-2006, 05:48 AM

ORIGINAL: Jeffisdecentttttt

rofl. yeah. Just dont buy a turbo awd car for 3000 dollars, and you wont end up like me.

ditto =/ same as me

Old 06-13-2006, 10:35 AM

ORIGINAL: N/Teclipse

Yea I know, and the person I bought it off had no idea what she had. When I asked her over the phone which type of Eclipse it was(RS, GS, GST, GSW), she told me it was a red one with pretty silver rims, and that her boyfriend drilled holes in the exhuast to make it sound fast. Lol.

ohhhh, i didnt even notice you had non turbo. you have a totally different engine. of course you have fewer problems.
you have the SLOW420A...its decently more dependable than the FASTUNDEPENDABLE4G63
power drill 50 bucks
3/4' bit 11 bucks
extension cord 16 bucks
speed holes in your muffler... priceless

now you know where I got my user name from

To check for crank walk: when making a left hand turn with the clutch depressed, if you take your foot off the clutch and it stick to the floor your crank is taking a walk.

For the tranny issue, my buddy down the street had a 420a for 8 months, and went through 3 trannys and 2 clutches. I had my 420a for 18 months and sold it on the stock tranny and clutch. It really depends on how you can drive. When the kid powershifted he grinded every gear. I did a few mods to the clutch and never grinded a gear after that.

Old 06-13-2006, 12:04 PM

bigdeez if you are still looking for one i have a 99 10th edition with several exterior and engine mods for sale...

Old 06-13-2006, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

If you want to be 100% safe, just buy a good condition one, and go the extra mile, and just get a 6 bolt bottom end swap. It doesnt really cost that much, and better safe than sorry.
thats not really true there are many signs of crankwalk that you can look for. If the oil light flickers at idle or if the clutch seems to stick to the floor sometimes. Rpm's drop significantly when clutch is depressed.

Old 06-13-2006, 04:39 PM

I had a 2g with 204k on it. driven to **** every day b4 i bought it, and it held it's own.

Old 06-13-2006, 05:24 PM

ORIGINAL: TheEngineer

thats not really true there are many signs of crankwalk that you can look for. If the oil light flickers at idle or if the clutch seems to stick to the floor sometimes. Rpm's drop significantly when clutch is depressed.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Old 06-14-2006, 04:23 AM

RCJr....ARE YOU SELLING YOUR CAR?
hmmmm...

Quick Reply: Major Problems with 2nd gen Eclipses?