2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

making an engine TURBO worthy...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 10:42 AM
Default making an engine TURBO worthy...

I've been talking to a pretty smart guy lately and he's beein giving me some pointers on what to do before i drop my turbo kit into my car... so far i've gotten: fuel system, throttle body, connecting rods, pistons, injectors, crankshaft, exhaust, and ignition... anything anybody else can think of before i put a HAHN Stage 2 Turbo kit in my car? would i need to drop a new trani and clutch also??? any help would be appreciated

Old 08-24-2005, 01:08 PM
Administrator
Default RE: making an engine TURBO worthy...

big horsepower will gradually wear away at your tranny, but even regular driving will do that. hahn would know for sure, but i am not, whether or not sleeving the block is needed. youll also want some small things such as new head bolts, but that is a given.

i would think that you would also want to have your head ported and polished to make more room from the added air...

Old 08-25-2005, 11:54 AM

still looking for help

Old 08-25-2005, 12:31 PM

rc im sorry man i dont know who agrees with me or who doesnt but i think its ludacris to do all that work on a gs when you could grab a gst and just upgrade the turbo and some small other details (fuel blah blah) and be way under what you will spend for turboing that gs... you can run all the power youd ever want to run on the gs-t internals.. the 4g63 is an incredably strong stock motor.. you will save THOUSANDS... in my opinion on your car you will have to swap out/rebuild the tranny.. clutch.... the gs isnt a sports car.. its not made to take what you want to give it and/or how your going to drive it..

Old 08-25-2005, 01:49 PM

x2

I costs a royal load of money to convert an n/a eclipse to a turbo. In fact the only reason we did all of our mods to the '97 was it was danm near fee. I want to say the final tally on engine cost alone was slightly over 7-grand...... and there is no labor included in that since we did all of the work ourselves. It really was not all that cost effective which is why I am pondering the VR4-TT swap for the '94.

Old 08-25-2005, 02:15 PM

ORIGINAL: g9s5t

rc im sorry man i dont know who agrees with me or who doesnt but i think its ludacris to do all that work on a gs when you could grab a gst and just upgrade the turbo and some small other details (fuel blah blah) and be way under what you will spend for turboing that gs... you can run all the power youd ever want to run on the gs-t internals.. the 4g63 is an incredably strong stock motor.. you will save THOUSANDS... in my opinion on your car you will have to swap out/rebuild the tranny.. clutch.... the gs isnt a sports car.. its not made to take what you want to give it and/or how your going to drive it..
how do you figure? first of all a gs-t/gsx will cost 3-5 grand more "based in my area and most areas ive look for them" which will almost cover the cost of making the car with a new strong turbo ready motor and maby a turbo kit and than you will not have to spend the money upgrading the stock kit "almost like buying 2 turbokits". and the tranny wont need to be replaced or worked on until over 300hp. and the gs-t motor you would buy would be used and a possably an abused motor that might blow up. and i dont care if it is a 4g63 the more boost you put on a motor any motor it will whear faster. so why not do it on a new motor and not somthing that has 100,000+ miles on it?

Old 08-25-2005, 03:37 PM

I see where you are coming from but your numbers are a little off. I guess all areas are different but from where I live gst/gsx's are the same price as gs's these days. If you get a gsx you already have a huge advantage and will never get that kind of traction out of a gs. A simple turbo kit for the gs is $3000 by it self, and so with your logic you have already paid as much as you would have with buying a gst/gsx. But you have the turbo kit on a weak motor and cant boost very much at all, so now your as fast as a stock gst or a little slower. Rebuilding your motor will cost another few thousand, then the tranny is the weakest link. Gs's can be fast, but with a lot more money than a turbo dsm. 100,000 miles on a 4g63 is irrelevant if it was taken care of. I see people boosting 24psi on stock bottom ends with 150k miles with no problems. Every person who has turboed a 420a motor has run into many problems, and the only ones I have seen that are actually really fast are shop cars because they have the money to support all the problems they keep running into.

Old 08-25-2005, 04:44 PM

ok so i look up cars in the san digo are and here is what i have found eclipse here is and ex. ex now look at the closest prices gstor gsx 1999 10,000 is the lowset i can find 2x the price. how do you figure the same yare of eclipse is the same price? so now i9 have 5000 to work with which i can get a very reliable motor and turbokit runnin under 300hp and be fine oh an i get the upgrades that i would have to to to that gsx-gst for less than the 1999 gsx/gst cost.

Old 08-25-2005, 05:33 PM
Administrator

a friend of mine has hahns top kit on a 420A...it cost something like 12 grand....to put about 300 to the ground....with full tranny/engine/suspension/diff upgrades...

Old 08-25-2005, 05:44 PM

12G that is the stage V kit right because that is the top kit they have and it pushes way more than 300hp. why he swap tranny the stock on will hold up just fine up to 300hp and the suspension is fine up to 300 hp as well.

Quick Reply: making an engine TURBO worthy...