2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

making an engine TURBO worthy...

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 01:43 PM
Default RE: making an engine TURBO worthy...

a 420a boosted would be a hell of a lot faster than an awd turbo clipse....just common sense

Old 09-25-2005, 09:18 PM

ORIGINAL: dubeb31

a 420a boosted would be a hell of a lot faster than an awd turbo clipse....just common sense
Its obvious that a 420a isant as fast as a gsx. Not trying to say that it cant be. With enough money anthing can be fast. Do you think your cool or something for raking on a car in a post thats almost a month old? Its all been said and done, 420a's are slow, they suck. We get the picture. Grow up, act your age not the size of your weiner. If your not capable of doing that, I seriously recomend that you consider selling your car for a honda. Then you can talk all of the trash that you want, because people will expect that of you.

Old 09-25-2005, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

LOL Back to the subject at hand. Te whole post was started asking about what was required for the turbo upgrade. In addition to the things you've listen already from the company I'd suggest port and polising the head, a higher capacity feul pump and injectors, a bigger exhaust system from front to back, boost controller (Manual or electronic is purely a matter of preference). And of course you want to start looking into other areas of the car now I.E. suspension and braking. Pushin more power will require more to stop and more to hold to the road. Other than that I'd say see if you can find articles and dyno's from cars that have done different things and see how yours lines up woth them and where you want it to be.

Old 09-26-2005, 12:09 AM

ORIGINAL: Sanguinius

LOL Back to the subject at hand. Te whole post was started asking about what was required for the turbo upgrade. In addition to the things you've listen already from the company I'd suggest port and polising the head, a higher capacity feul pump and injectors, a bigger exhaust system from front to back, boost controller (Manual or electronic is purely a matter of preference). And of course you want to start looking into other areas of the car now I.E. suspension and braking. Pushin more power will require more to stop and more to hold to the road. Other than that I'd say see if you can find articles and dyno's from cars that have done different things and see how yours lines up woth them and where you want it to be.
This is the post that provoked this https://mitsubishiforum.com/m_26220/tm.htm

Old 10-06-2005, 02:13 AM

Hey there fellow eclipse owner,my name is josh and i drive a 95 gs and i have been doing minor things to my car to get it ready for the turbo project that is under way so fay i have put in 2g gsx brakes,power slotted roters all around,cold air i/t,gst oz wheels,head studs,97 front end conversion(it doesnt have n e thing to do with the turbo but looks way meanier and aggressive),walbro 255 fuel pump and regulater,and a few other thing i cant think of them atm.......Instead of buying a turbo kit check out this site and click on-mods tech and more and then click on turbo and you will see the turbo project this guy did to his gs.Why pay 3 to 4 g's on a turbo package when you can buy everything on ebay seperately for like under a 1000 bucks,that site is what gave me inspiration because all i heard from everyone is that it would be to hard or nearly impossible or expenxive to turbo charge a 420A.These motors are verry reliable and trust worthy..As for the tranny if you want to you can go to a junk yard and pick up a 98 r/t nean bc they are pretty much the strongest tranny for the 420A's,anyway the site is...Team2gnt.com.......It lists every thing to do to boost like somewhere between 5-10 psi with the right setup.....................Josh

Old 10-06-2005, 02:27 AM

www.team2gnt.com sorry about the last post

Old 10-06-2005, 04:09 PM

its ok, 2 g n t dosent like to come up on this site for some reason when you put them togather. Chris did a really good wirte up tho and it showed alot of people that anyone can put a turbo kit togather. Only problem that I have with it is that His walkthrough dosent cover some steps correctly. Like the fuel system, he is a bit foggy on that subject. ALso alot of kids look at that writeup and start to pice togather their own kit, but cant weld. Deff a good read. When are you going turbo? My kit should be done by next week, I am wating on a sfmu and pices to make my downpipe, CI shanked me with their ****ty dp so now i have to make my own.

Old 10-06-2005, 07:02 PM

Thanx but that is kinda g a y how that doesnt work while posting a website but do you think that cris's guid to building that custom kit for the 420A is a good one at that or do you have a better way or know of a site that would help in that area.....since you are a 420A owner and seem like you know alot obout them do you think it would be ok to boost the 420A say like 5-10 psi without having to tear away at the block to put low comp pistons in,i have posted the ? befor and no one replied so is there something else i can do to my engine so that i dont have to do that or is that my only option....Where are you located if you dont mind........Josh

Old 10-06-2005, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

From what I've heard you should be able to put 5-10 psi on stock internals.

Old 10-06-2005, 10:33 PM

ORIGINAL: duwacker16

Thanx but that is kinda g a y how that doesnt work while posting a website but do you think that cris's guid to building that custom kit for the 420A is a good one at that or do you have a better way or know of a site that would help in that area.....since you are a 420A owner and seem like you know alot obout them do you think it would be ok to boost the 420A say like 5-10 psi without having to tear away at the block to put low comp pistons in,i have posted the ? befor and no one replied so is there something else i can do to my engine so that i dont have to do that or is that my only option....Where are you located if you dont mind........Josh
What you need to do is a compression check. I did mine today and it went(cyl 1-4) 185, 180, 165, 185. I am going boost next week so I am expecting to need a rebuild. Chances are I am going to blow out the ring land of cyl 3. Back on topic tho, gsgoingfast (chris) write up is excelent but it isant detailed as much as it proly should. I got Conceptillusions.com sage on kit, and that requires minimal fabercation. If you wnat to check it out go to 2g nt .com and search Conceptillusions stage one and you should find my pics(youkickedmydog). What he lacks in his write up is the fuel deparment. The cheapest way to do it would to be to get vortech fmu for 150 shells and run that like chris did, in his return line after the fpr under the car.. what am i saying you have a 95 haha you have a return line under the hood you lucky bastard. Well then you can mount the fmu under the hood, along with getting an sutometer fuel pressure gauge. If you do plan on following the writeup check out e-bay or the classifides of 2g nt.com and see if you can either get your hands on a manifold. Making one takes alot of skill and thats somehting that he left out of his writeup. Also check out turbocalculator.com they make a nasty manifold for the 420a, but its ment for an externial WG, which can be caped. Also with his write up skipo the part about the fcd, its use less in 95's you gus have a cool mas sensor that dosent apply fuel cut. Lastly the down pipe is a bitch because its not someting that you can call up someone and tell them to make for you its going to have to be something that you either get a local shop to make or make your self. IN all with some 30lb injectors and a smic at the min. you can safely run 9psi as a daily drive and expect your car to last. It really depends on the millage of the car, the life its had, and the condition of the componets. If you run her a bit rich, change the oil regular basis, and keep the boost low she will last for ever. Thats why I told you to get a compression check, stock the 420a should hit 200 psi, clearly my motor is on its way out. Stock compression is 8:8:1, the JE turbo pistons are 8:6:1 which hit 170 psi on a compression check just to jet you know. Good luck and if you have any questions drop me a pm or just e-mail me.

Quick Reply: making an engine TURBO worthy...