2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

manny tranny Q? and clutch Q?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 09:14 PM
Default manny tranny Q? and clutch Q?

i am new to manny trannys! ok when i change the fluid on my tranny does it take any specific tranny fluid or any additives! when i changed the fluid on my buddies SRT-4 he needed some special additive and it took regular atf+4 fluid "just a syn fluid".

also when i do my clutch swap is ther eny thing else i should get or replace while i am in there, my clutch masters comes with the throw out berring, and i cant afford a fly wheel right now but eny mechanical things i should replace!

thanks
Bud

Old 12-14-2006, 09:18 PM
Banned
Default RE: manny tranny Q? and clutch Q?

Not sure about the tranny fluid but as for the clutch... no you should be fine with everythin in the kit.

Old 12-14-2006, 09:57 PM

ORIGINAL: bud660r

i am new to manny trannys! ok when i change the fluid on my tranny does it take any specific tranny fluid or any additives! when i changed the fluid on my buddies SRT-4 he needed some special additive and it took regular atf+4 fluid "just a syn fluid".

also when i do my clutch swap is ther eny thing else i should get or replace while i am in there, my clutch masters comes with the throw out berring, and i cant afford a fly wheel right now but eny mechanical things i should replace!

thanks
Bud
One thing to note is that if the throw out bearing that's included with that new clutch is all metal, don't use it. Many DSM'ers swear by the stock throw out bearings. Just imagine metal on metal. The throw out bearing also doesn't have a minimum/maximum torque or horsepower, so it's mainly about friction.
Fluid...just make sure that it meets GL-1, GL-3, GL-4 for a manual tranny. Most use BG Syncroshift or GM Syncromesh, Redline MTL/MT90, and some other that I'm forgetting. I've never heard anyone using 75W90 in our tranny btw, that's for rear diffs and xfer cases (it's been asked).
Tranny...if you can afford it, I'd change out the gears, unless you know that it wasn't beaten on. Nonetheless, I would still change it out now as opposed to later.
Flywheel...did the mechanic tell you why it couldn't be resurfaced? If it really is that bad, he probably can't resurface it, so you can just get one from a different donor car...one more thing, if the flywheel is that bad, I would definitely recommend rebuilding the tranny internals.

Old 12-14-2006, 10:15 PM

wow thanks for the info. well my clutch is totaly out and i am going to be puting in the new one and the guy that is doing the wrok for me said he is going to re-surface the flywheel!

Old 12-14-2006, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator

I've never had to add fluid to a manual trans. Maybe the clutch master cylinder... But then I've never changed a trans... I think silver's got this one covered fairly well.

Old 12-15-2006, 12:55 AM

Silver just scared me. The ACT2100 kit comes with its own throw out bearing and it is all metal except for the rubber ring. I am new to this manual trans stuff so i can't explain or even know wut the throw out bearing does. But isn there alot of metal on metal action going on already with cars.

Old 12-15-2006, 12:59 AM
Banned

Dont worry the TOB supplied by ACT is just fine... Silver you dumbass quit scaring the noobs lol

Old 12-15-2006, 01:08 AM

Lol, sorry to scare you guys. BTW, the newer ACT clutches are using the OEM TOBs.
There is a lot of metal on metal already in cars, but the TOB doesn't get lubed until the gears are turning, so....unless you've removed the clutch safety switch (that white plug that keeps the car from starting unless the clutch pedal is pressed in), you'll get premature wear from the metal TOBs. Also, I'm not saying that in a few month the metal ones will just be dead. It'll take some time to do that, but faster than with an OEM TOB.
Not to scare anyone, just letting you guys know

Old 12-15-2006, 01:11 AM

Not to scare you guys anymore than I already have but, here's a reason why metal TOBs aren't so good.
TOB premature wear.

Old 12-15-2006, 01:26 AM

Well thank for the nice quick update lol.. Having a replacement tranny and new clutch put in tomorrow with that thought on my mind would not be good. Thanks for the clear up.

Quick Reply: manny tranny Q? and clutch Q?