2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Misfiring cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 02:55 AM
Default Misfiring cylinder?

My friend lately seems to be having the heavy foot syndrome, and he effed up his GS, i agreed to help him and to my surprise when he turned it on, the idle was a bit rough and the exhaust sounded much like a vw bug o_O, we ran a scan and p0303 and p0505 came on (cylinder #3 misfire and idling control system). Could this be a timming issue? another thing we noticed is that on the distribuitor the bottom two thingies where the spark plug cables go on were having some corrosion issues while the top ones were ok... maybe anything to do to it?
Once again thnx for the attention and your reply beforhand dudes

Old 06-22-2007, 03:13 AM
Banned
Default RE: Misfiring cylinder?

Change the plugs and wires first

Old 06-22-2007, 03:59 AM

Clean the coil while you're at it.
hell, replace it.

Old 06-22-2007, 04:59 AM

Does your friend drive it HARD?
I would check the stuff the guys above suggested

Old 06-22-2007, 09:09 AM

if it's thowing the misfire code, i agree, change ur wires, plugs and give ur pack a gooooooood cleaning if you don't replace it. also could spray some electrical cleaner in the connector. if that doesn't work, it could be a timing belt. has he had any trouble w/ engine temps or smoke of any kind? i had a rogh idle for a good bit in my GS and it was b/c of a blown head gasket but i hardely EVER saw any smoke, just raised engine heat and low coolant once in a while.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:50 AM
Banned

If it still does it THEN change the coil... not until then

Old 06-22-2007, 12:51 PM

another thing we noticed is that on the distribuitor the bottom two thingies where the spark plug cables go on were having some corrosion issues
Whenever the wires were last changed, if ever, no connector grease was used. Thats where thats from and why I suggest cleaning, or possibly replacing, the coil.

Is the car a 2.0 420A or a Spyder 2.4

Old 06-22-2007, 02:28 PM

Its a normal gs, a 420a... we changed the spark plugs and the wires seem ok, so it prolly would be the coil, and yes silver hes riding it HARD, hes the one i told you about trying to pull out the flath shifting... i dont think is a blown head gasket, the vacuum seems ok, but ill get a gauge to check twice cuz it sounds like a possibility not that i think of.

Old 06-23-2007, 05:01 AM

Hello there, I'm Kaede's neighbor, the one with the heavy foot, shifting problems, and now with electrical problems too... I just wanna say that ever since I've been in the street racing world, I always wanted a 3000GT VR4, but destiny gave me the oportunity of getting an eclipse, and it has been surprisely funny to drive, so I've decided to keep it and tune it to the top! I'm a mechanical engineer, and I know a little about engines, but I appreciate all the help that all of you can bring me.

Saludos / Best Greetings

Old 06-23-2007, 07:30 PM

Just an update on this thing, it was the coil thing, it isnt really giving ANY spark into cylinder #3, cables ok, s.plugs ok, but the coil is like i dont like #3, bye bye #3

Quick Reply: Misfiring cylinder?