2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

To the Moderators

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 10:57 AM
Default To the Moderators

Hey guys, can you sticky this,

I have noticed alot of people asking the questions about what they can swap into their 2g eclipse, So, I made a thread about it.
As for what you will need to do in order to complete a swap, i.e. what parts you will need to purchase, or at least make sure the ones from the your new motor/trans you are swapping in are in good shape are.

motormounts, shift linkage, axles, transmission mounts, clutch, flywheel, intake piping, upper and lower radiator hoses, oil and oil filter, ECU, harness adapter, or some wire, shrink tubing, and a wiring diagram. New trans fluid, random hoses, and lines, (the best solution on this is to buy about 6 feet of the most commonly used size hoses and use them where needed. you will need some 1/4" 3/8" 1" 1 1/2" . You will also want to go ahead and buy some new vaccum tubing so you can replace it where needed. I would personally reccomend silicone tubing, even the cheep silicon availiable from your local auto parts store is better than any rubber will ever be.)
Things you may want to do to ensure your new motor is running in top shape and to ensure you dont have any major problems down the line. NEW... waterpump, timingbelt, tensioner, Belts, have the radiator flushed proffesionally, new clutch, and flywheel, new master and slave cylinders for the clutch, (or at least re-build them) lightweight pulleys, New sparkplugs, new wires, new coil. New upper and lower radiator hoses, Completely replace all other hoses (one at a time here so that you dontmess up) and vaccum lines. Degrease and re-spray the engine bay, new motor/transmission-mounts, or at least urethane inserts. New axles, degreese the new motor/trans. Replace the factory intake,New header,New high Flow catalytic converter, new exhaust, new O2 sensors.

Please note this is not an exhaustive list of what you will need to do, but it is a huge starting point. Also, be sure to have a FSM, or at least a chilton or haynes manual with you.

I have done my best to make a full list of what will and will not fit as a swap into the 2nd gen eclipse.

1. 1990- 1994 turbo (4g63) will fit into any 90-94 eclipse (Keep in mind that 90-94 4G63's come in two variants, referred to by their flywheel bolt pattern: six bolt or seven bolt. It helps to swap a motor from the same model year. Also the 95-99 turbo motor has a different motor mount configuration that cannot bolt straight into an earlier car. Although it could be done with significant work. Here is a great place for refrences http://www.magnusmotorsports.com/tech/1gina2g.pdf

2. 1995- 1999, will take any 4g63 so long as the new motor didnt come out of a later generationevo.Lancer Evolution I-III motors SHOULD bolt pretty easily into 95-99 Eclipses, but they're ridiculously expensive,You should also consider the 90-94 motors can also swap into the 95-99 cars, but differences in the motor mounts, front cover, oil pan, and more make it difficult.

here is the best, list of what there is, and what will fit
in this table, Size means how big the motor is, Cyls. Means how many pistons the engine has. Applications means, what the motor will fit into as well as what car it can be found in. Designation means the engine code. Descriptions tells you things like FWD (front wheel drive) AWD (all wheel drive) whether its fuel injected, how many valves and so forth.

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/m...plications.htm

Big thanks to MACH V motorsports, as well as Road Race engineering.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:58 AM
Default RE: To the Moderators

well ****, my table didnt come out right. Take all that out, and insert this link

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/m...plications.htm

Old 03-19-2007, 11:31 AM

this was already a sticky at one time... it didn't help. every newb possible still asked this as their first question.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:39 AM

lol. well glad i wated 30 minutes of my life then

Old 03-19-2007, 12:03 PM

question...what the hell did the n/a 4g63 motors come in and how hard would it have been to turbo them...and would they fit into a regular gs or still the same old b/s about too much fab work and what not...

Old 03-19-2007, 12:17 PM

its the same engine so you can't swap it either. or if you do you will have the same probs. the n/t 4g63 came in the 1st gen gs models. turbo'ing that motor is the same process of tubo'ing a 420a.

Old 03-19-2007, 12:17 PM

see above for which models they came in.
As for how hard it would be to turbo them. You can easily turbo anything, or it can get really complicated.
It all just depends on how much power you are wanting to make. and what you intend to do with said power
As for fitting on a regular GS, again, see above

Old 03-19-2007, 12:19 PM

ok so the n/a 4g63 came in first gen gs...well that explains a little lol see i was under the impresion that if it was a 4g63 engine then it was turbo from the factory...

Old 03-19-2007, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

well the 4g63 nt is alittle easier to turbo since you could basically take everything from a stock turbo 1g. Except youd still need to build up the engine a bit since the compression is way to high in the NT ones.

Old 03-19-2007, 02:57 PM

the 4g63n/t is also in the awd 6g galant gsx...its 140hp awd four door and i know a guy who is swapping the 4g63t into his galant. just a side note...

Quick Reply: To the Moderators