2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Moon Roof Seal ... Anybody replaced this before?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 03:41 PM
Default Moon Roof Seal ... Anybody replaced this before?

The moon roof is leaking on my wife's '98 Eclipse. I've had a continuous strip of black electrical tape running around the edge since late Fall. But now it's time to fix the problem. So I'm about to buy a new black rubber seal for it (and some Loctite 410 to join the two ends together once it's on).

Has anybody done this before? Is there anything out of the ordinary I should be careful of when replacing the seal?

Thanks.
Michael

Old 04-12-2007, 03:44 PM
Default RE: Moon Roof Seal ... Anyboy replaced this before?

A friend of mine did it once... said it was pretty cut & dry... Not too bad.

Old 04-12-2007, 03:59 PM

make sure that is what it is. my old 99 eclipse leaked in the front corners also but it was nothing but a clogged drain hole. hooked up a compressor to it and blew it out... never had a problem since.

Old 04-12-2007, 04:07 PM

Good call. I'll definately check and see if the drain is clogged first.

......But theoretically, isn't the moon roof seal supposed to keep ALL water from passing by it? If so, then freeing a clogged drain would only be a band-aid fix, because for water to make it past the seal it would have to be compromissed in some way...right?

Old 04-12-2007, 04:14 PM

i thought the same thing... mine always leaked a little bit but the drain tube got it all out... when it clogged, that's when i found problems.

Old 04-13-2007, 11:07 AM

The seal isn't really supposed to be water tight. It can only hold off sitting water for a little while before it seaps through. It does keep passing water out with no issues (unless it's defective).
That's a good start though RC, I would recommend that first too. Replacing the seal isn't too bad but it's irritating if the seal leaks.

Old 04-13-2007, 11:31 AM

I guess that makes sense - seeing as how the (outer) edge of the seal isn't bare rubber, but instead some sort of fine, short pile fuzz. Almost like a dense peach fuzz.

I'm sure I've got to replace the seal though. I didn't mention it earlier, but there's also some rust bubbling up at two points around the perimeter of the moon roof - just underneath the seal. So I'm gonna have to get at that metal edging with some sandpaper, somerust oxidizer, and finally some sort of rust inhibitingprimer and clearcoatbefore installing the new seal.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:20 PM

well if what Silver said is true and the seal isn't meant to keep it completely water proof than you will need to clean out your dain tube anyways... if water is getting clogged inside the sunroof than you will end up having the same problem w/ the new seal.... mabey a little better but it still needs to be able to drian inside that lil water catch.