2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Need Help.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 03:54 AM
Default Need Help.

Help me out guys. I got two problem with my car. The first one is that the car is being close to over heating. The needle gauge isin the middlebetween normal and over heating. I check the coolant and its still good, no sign of burning coolant. I have to blast the heat, just so the temperture would drop back down to normal. Even when the car is park and the engine is running, if i turn off the heat the temperture would rise back up. Dont know if a bad thermostat would cause it. The next problem is that my car have problem when it gets to3K rpm. If i floor the gas all the way, it'll get to 3k and the car seem like it blog out. Even in the freeway, just pushing the gas a little it'll do the same thing.I dont think its my spark plug, cause i just order some ngk plug and wire. And its still doing the same thing. I dont know what it causing it, please help me out.

Old 02-21-2007, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Need Help.

coil pack maybe. It sounds to me like an ignition problem. What kinda car do you have?

Old 02-21-2007, 09:44 AM

Overheating...
It can be that the fans aren't coming on because of a bad fan switch, it can be the thermostat, it can be a bad radiator cap seal. There's more, but those are common.
Rev issue...
Have you changed your wires? Which NGKs did you get? Were they gapped correctly? Do you have leaky spark plug seals?...leading to...Do you have oil in the spark plug tubes?
Which motor do you have again? lol.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:13 AM

Overheating - start simple and move up the food chain. Are there any coolant stains? (looking for leak in hose) if not, change the thermostat, it's a 10 dollar piece and it' good to have a new one in there anyways. We'll start there.
Rev problem - i had relatively the same problem and it was my coil pack, it's about 40-50 bucks if i remember correctly. Mine was so bad when i took my plug wires off, i could see the entire plug extension off of the pack was completely covered in corrosion. Try these and let us know how it goes.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:53 AM

I have a 98 eclipse gst.
Overheating-
I have replace the radiator cap and the fan do come on. There's no leak at all.
Rev problem-
I replace my stock plug and wires with ngk 7mm wire and bpr7es plug. Again the car already have rev problem before i replace them. There is no oil in the plug tubes.

Old 02-21-2007, 01:58 PM

replace the thermostat, and i'd go ahead and troubleshoot the coil pack. . . that's would be my best advice at this time.

Old 02-21-2007, 04:28 PM

I stop by auto advance for them to read the check engine light. It was the MAF and TPS sensor. Man, its close to $500 for both of it. But i dont want to get it and then it still do the same thing. I replace the themostat, hopefully that would solve one problem. Would the MAF and TSP cause your car to blog out like that. I notice that it only blog like that 3rd gear and up. Doesnt do it on 1st and 2nd.

Old 02-21-2007, 04:45 PM

eek... the only thing i could think of is that if the maf is bad it woudn't register the bov air release correctly but... if its only when you hit the gas in 3rd or higher... i have no idea.I still say it sounds like the distributor, what you are describing sounds exacly like what was happening to me way back when.

Old 02-22-2007, 02:59 AM

No more over heating, guess it was just a bad thermostat. Im not sure if iwant to take to a shop and let them give me their opinion. Man, i out of clue. The dealer probably would recommand me to replace those two parts. I also check the coil pack, it doesnt have any sign of corrision on it.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:38 AM

don't take it to a dealer yet! go to a shop and see if they'll give you an assessment first, if they are out of ideas then see what the dealer thinks. if they think it is those 2 parts i'd buy them outside of the dealer and have a shop install them!!! a dealer will probably chage you close to double!.

Quick Reply: Need Help.