2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

need help I'm limping home!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 11:07 PM
Default need help I'm limping home!

I have a 97gs 2.0n/t that is in limp mode. I pulled the trans codes and got a 12 and 45. One is the excessive small TPS output and the other is Open-circuited shift control pressure control solenoid valve. Does anyone have any ideas. I have checked continuity of the wires that go from the solenoid to the tcm and all seems good. Is there a ground or something else I should be checking. I was not aware that there are two tps sensors, which one is my problem?

Old 01-19-2009, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: need help I'm limping home!

there is only 1 tps sensor.

Those are two separate and unrelated issues. My guess is that one of them is actually causing the other to be thrown...which is the problemim not sure of. I would check 2 things

1. check the tps voltage and make sure its within spec. If not try and adjust the angle. (check users manual)

2. Check the purge control solenoid valve and the hoses to it. Its shown here in the yellow arrow http://members.shaw.ca/dsm.1000q/Eng.../solenoids.htm

Old 01-19-2009, 01:01 PM

I'm posting pics because my engine looks nothing like yours. Which pins do I check on mine.

This is my tb and there are two connectors going to it. I hope there is a pic because I've never tried to put a pic up before. The bottom one has four pins and the top one has three.

[IMG]local://upfiles/19662/D96FC5E07EDB443E97243E1CBA7D7C75.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-19-2009, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

oh you have a non-turbo.

I dont have a manual for the 420a but its the top connector that should be outputing the tps angle

Old 01-19-2009, 09:39 PM

I was just out there working on it and I got 4.65 ohms between the top and bottom pins. My meter was set at 20K. I'm still not sure how to get a voltage reading, I've tried going from pin to pin on each one but got nothing. The only place I got voltage was on the A and B pins on the four wire harness that is below the tps. By the way what is the other connector for?

Old 01-20-2009, 06:33 AM
Super Moderator

honestly im not sure, im not all that familiar with the 420a. But i found this from another forum

Unhook the electrical plug and measure the resistance between the two outer pins. You should get 3.5 to 6.5 kOhms. Measure the resistance between the center pin and one of the outer pins while moving the throttle plate. The resistance should vary smoothly as you move the throttle. Pass those tests and your TPS is OK at the moment
So it appears that your tps is within spec. The only other thing i can suggest is because you have a 96+ car it has OBD2 so you can get the true codes from autozone, that may give us alittle more insite as to what the issue may be.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:07 AM

I have a scanner and it reads codes 700 and 760. The 760 kind of goes along with the code 45. I have only got this car to shift on two occassions, but it did run and drive great one time
then the second time I went to drive it,it went back to limp mode.

Now the car starts fine and will go in R and N but when you put it in D whith the brake on it dies. If you shift to D and release the brake right away it stutters a little then will eventually drive in limp mode. After the car has been driven you can stop the car and shift it to any position and it will not die, just the first time it seems.

The code 45 says open circuit on solenoid C but I don't know how to check this any further.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

well the 700 code is just a general TCM code saying that the tranny is throwing something.

And with the reader you probably have, the issue is that its gonna give generic codes. These are gonna be dealer specific codes. You may actually need to take this car to a chrysler dealer and have them scan the TCM.

From what i gather though, it appears you have either an electrical issue with the IAC, TPS, or MAP sensor. Or you have a problem directly related to the trans (maybe fluid pressure related.) There are ways to test the IAC and MAP sensor, but again i dont have a manual on it so i really cant say how or with what results to look for.