2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

NEED HELP PLEASE~NEWBIE

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 12:36 AM
Default NEED HELP PLEASE~NEWBIE

Hey everyone I just found this site and think it's great. I have a problem with my check engine light. I have a 1997 Eclipse GS and my check engine light never goes off. Is there a way to turn it off manually. I need to get a smog check and the mechanic said they won't smog if the light is on. PLEASE HELP ~ thanks

Old 11-22-2004, 10:20 AM
Default RE: NEED HELP PLEASE~NEWBIE

i would say disconnect the battery negative terminal for like 5 or 10 seconds and connect it back. the CEL should reset and send your car to the mechanic before the CEL lights up again.

Old 11-22-2004, 10:21 AM

If you take the ground off your batt then tap is like 1 2 3 let it sit for about 5 min with it off then it will reset the computer.

Old 11-22-2004, 07:06 PM

do you have any mods? if so what?

I put a new set of headers on my SpecV and since I removed one cat and O2 sensor, the check engine light is ALWAYS on, telling me that my cat isn't working... lol, im like "NO ****! ITS NOT THERE!!!" and everytime I take it in to the stealership, the mech is always like.. your CE light is on.. I think its cause blah blah blah, its great

Old 11-23-2004, 09:54 AM

Before you go resetting the computer it might help to actually read what the trouble code is first.

DT

Old 11-26-2004, 08:47 PM

and if you reset the computer and it comes on again, then there is deff somethin wrong

Old 12-02-2004, 08:48 PM

If you don't think anything's wrong tell them to do the smog test, the lightbulb doesn't mess up your readings[8D]. If they say they won't do it call a couple places and say, hey my ce light is on for no reason, can you do the test anyways and see if it will pass?

Old 12-04-2004, 02:39 AM

Yeh. definitely find someoen with a diagnostic system, you dont wanna be turning off a wanring sign, cuz even if its a stupid little sensor, and it costs 40$ to replace the sensor, when that stupid little sensor goes, you will be on the side of the road because ur car died...i know cars that automatically turn the check engine light on at like 60k miles or some random number, or service soon, but i dont think an eclipse does that...

Old 12-04-2004, 03:47 PM

Vertstanggt, Unless you get real lucky, no emissions testing facility is gonna do a dyno test as opposed to an obd test, unless the MIL is on for a reason other than emissions. And if they do an OBD test the first time, they must always do an OBD test every time afterwards. The best chance you'll have of getting a dyno test is before you go the emissions testing, unplug the battery and drive over there before the light comes back on. That way the MIL will function normally, however when doing the obd test, the computer will see that the readiness codes are not there. Depending on the people working at the facility, they will either bump you down to a dyno test, or turn you away and tell you to come back in a week or so. For most people, they will just do the dyno test, i know i always do it their tags are about to expire, but i'm nicer than most.

Old 12-05-2004, 03:14 AM

We don't have emission test in my state so I am not too familiar with them. The last I knew about them they took readings off the exhuast by just running the car and hooking up the tester to the tailpipe, I could be wrong, never actually seen one done in person. That's what I was going by when I wrote my response. I figured if they were just taking readings that the ce light being on wouldn't matter cause I've known people who's cars would have them come on for no good reason. If they use other methods now then I guess that wouldn't work.

Quick Reply: NEED HELP PLEASE~NEWBIE