2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Need info on mods and emissions (small story)

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 02:15 AM
Default Need info on mods and emissions (small story)

I got pulled over for having illegal emissions parts. I bought the 99 Eclipse GST with a cold-air intake, aftermarket muffler (possibly rest of exhaust system but there is a Cat-Converter), and a faulty Throttle Position Sensor. I dont even know what brand the intake and exhaust is. I took the car to get tested before changing anything and I failed the 15 mph test in the HC and NOX readings by about 150-200 ppm each. I fixed the TPS and had it tested again and it still failed but only by about 75-125 ppm each.

I finally realized the 2 aftermarket parts are literally illegal to have installed on the car. When I looked up the BAR approved aftermarket parts for the GST...they pretty much dont exist lol. The turbo Eclipse has no approved exhaust systems except for the Pacesetter Header. So theres one reason I believe im still failing the smog test. There was only 2 intake systems found that are approved...the K&N and some Cyborg one thats discontinued. So thats 2 reasons why I believe im still failing.

What I want to know is...do emissions illegal parts such as mine really cause that much of an increase in HC and NOX? The 25 mph test is fine and I pass that easily. I look at the non-turbo'd cars and pretty much all brands...Greddy, Blitz, etc are all emissions friendly. But do these same parts on a GST increase power but cause you to give up the street legal label? Ill be swapping the muffler for the stock one and the intake for the K&N FIPK approved one. As far as I know theres nothing else wrong with the car...do you think those 2 changes will help? Sorry for the long post, but I just wanted to have other opinions/facts...thanks.

Old 12-18-2006, 02:19 AM
Banned
Default RE: Need info on mods and emissions (small story)

First off, what state are you from?

Old 12-18-2006, 02:41 AM

The emissions tight California state...only state where cops fully harass us import/musle drivers.

Old 12-18-2006, 03:00 AM

gotta be stock out there lol... Florida you do what ever the hell you want. Ma has emission check but I have had a rejection for the last 7 months on the EVO

Old 12-18-2006, 03:24 AM

Hehe thanks, I knew those parts had to go.

Old 12-18-2006, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Well even with an intake and a catback system you should still be able to pass an emmision test. That should let out that much more. Do you still have a CEL? Maybe you have a bad cat, because thats what it was on my car and it was failing miserably here in mass

Old 12-18-2006, 11:57 AM
Banned

You can get a sleeper exhaust using the stock tip...

Old 12-18-2006, 02:47 PM

Nope no CEL is being lit on my car. The tech that was running the smog test said the cat was firing ok. My CO2 was at about 14.8, my O2 was fine. Its just a very small increase in HC and NOX. But thats what I figured at first...I thought those mods wouldnt effect my emissions. Ill end up swapping out the exhaust tip anyway and the intake too. Then ill take it to a test only (fail and its free) site before I take it to the referee. If its still the same ill get a new Cat just to make sure. Im just glad its not more severe, my car is running fine. Thanks for the help.

Old 12-18-2006, 03:05 PM

ORIGINAL: TheEngineer

Well even with an intake and a catback system you should still be able to pass an emmision test. That should let out that much more. Do you still have a CEL? Maybe you have a bad cat, because thats what it was on my car and it was failing miserably here in mass
not in cali... 0 mods are leagal as far as I know.. cali is strict about aftermarket anything. I even saw on TVa cop measuring the height of the headlights from the ground cause they need to be 22 inches over the ground and this kids were only 18 he got a ticket for it

Old 12-18-2006, 04:09 PM

Yeah EZmonz has it pretty much nailed. I was driving below speed limit in light traffic on a 3 lane street at night and the motorcycle cop still had my car marked for death. My muffler isnt even all that loud, more deep. When I went to take my test another guy with a 4-door Civic got a ticket for his exhaust too. Apparently the cops look for the CARB Exempt sticker on exhaust tips.

Quick Reply: Need info on mods and emissions (small story)