2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

need input...

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 09:20 PM
Default need input...

I'm buying this car, and before i drive down to see it. i want your opinion if it looks like a good car..is it ran hard or not? the only thing it needs is a new clutch because to handle all the power.. is that a hint? or.. well anyway

it has a 6 bolt swap, plus HKS BOV, Super afc, Injen intake, 255 walbro, HKS downpipe and HKS hi-power twisted exhaust

[IMG]local://upfiles/15540/32BC62785ACE441190A9559CEC55F956.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-04-2008, 09:47 PM
Banned
Default RE: need input...

The owner appears to be a moron.... hes venting.

Lets see some more pictures : )

Old 02-04-2008, 10:09 PM

what is venting? and ok. it won't let me put too many picks up, but hold on, i'll try.
Also, dude, anything else you might see? he is selling it for 6,500 but i could talk him down a little. also, i'm flying down to test drive it on saturday.

Thanks,
Mike

[IMG]local://upfiles/15540/B5320986528A47A987BBFC130992B756.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-04-2008, 10:28 PM
Banned

Venting is the pipe that goes from the blow off valve to the intake. It should be there. Notice how this guy has removed it, and merely capped off the hole?

Is the car a GST or GSX? How many miles?

GST = Not worth it.

GSX = Go for it.

If its a GST, dont pay over 5k for it.

Remember, mods DONT add value to a car.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:35 PM

it is a GSX with 93k miles, very good deal, huh?

and oh, i see. i just red up on it, and there can be positive gains, unless not done properly, the ECU... ANYWAY! is it a good deal?

Old 02-04-2008, 10:38 PM
Banned

Yeah good deal. You can still grind the price down a little though.

There are no positive gains from running a vented blow off valve.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:42 PM

what do you think would be the best price, and is the only thing getting from that the sound? also, what is super AFC, and 225 walbro, what does that mean?
thanks for your help.

also, i called him, and he said the clutch needs to be replaced with an ACT 2100lbs, or something aftermarket, because the STock clutch won't handle the power, is that true, or did he run it to hard?

Old 02-04-2008, 10:58 PM
Banned

Probably ran it hard and it needs to be replaced. Thats not uncommon.

Offer him 4k... never know. Dont expect that... its more than likely not going to happen.

The most important thing to focus on, is the cars issues. The clutch thing is a BIG one. The clutch itself costs about 350ish, and installation can be a costly job. Depending where you go, and if you do it yourself. If you plan on having someone else do it, then that is likely to cost you about 1k. Use that to your advantage BIG time.

I mean, even if there is a little tear in the interior... say like "Well, the interior needs a little attention, the exterior needs attention, under the hood is looking a little sorry, and its going to need a new clutch..... Would you take 4k?"

Yes, a vented BOV is purely for sound.... pretty gay eh?

Not to mention, make sure you get proof of the work done. Reciepts for example...

When test driving the car remember to do the following: Hit every single gear, including reverse. All reverse gears on a manual transmission will make some noise from time to time.. so dont be alarmed. In order to test the clutches life... put the car in 5th at highway speeds... and floor it. Obviously you wont be accelerating very quickly, but the load on the clutch will be highest. If the clutch is slipping, the RPMs will shoot up and when you release the gas, they will drop right back down... as if you had gone nowhere.

Also take note of where the clutch starts to engage in the pedal. The higher up it engages, the more wear on it. A brand new clutch will engage about an inch off the floor.

When inspecting the car, look under the oil cap for a white goop, if you see any, thats a $500 head gasket change. Check under the car for any fluid leaks, paying attention to the differential and transfer case.

Take a look at the oil dip stick. The oil should be a golden brown. If its not... bitch and moan about it... and use that to your advantage when negotiating the price. "Well i can see the oil hasnt been changed in a while... how do i know the car hasnt been neglected" ... you think of it.

Remember to look for any smoke out of the exhaust. A little black smoke is normal for a turbo car, white means coolant, and blue means oil. Both are bad.

Also, take a compression tester with you. Fairly cheap to buy, and it will help you majorly. They are only like 15 bucks from wal mart. Take a look here on how to do it http://www.geocities.com/dsmgrrrl/FAQs/compression.htmand this will also show you what the numbers should be, and what they shouldnt. 150psi is typical.. thats normal. If you see anything irregular like... 90 - 150 - 150 - 150 then you know you have a problem on cylinder one... and WALK AWAY!

I hope this isnt too much to take in.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:12 PM

eh, its a little much, but i'll read up. and if you have anything to add, please.
Thanks, alot sebba, you've been a great help since i've joined.
I'll let you know how it goes this weekend.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:14 PM
Banned

Thats pretty much everything.

I would just hate for you to end up with a piece of ****.

Quick Reply: need input...