2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

new clutch set, fork, ball, flywheel, can't go into gear! (UPDATE)

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008 | 12:15 PM
|
Default new clutch set, fork, ball, flywheel, can't go into gear! (UPDATE)

okay guys, here is the problem. i am moving along thru my build and i cannot figure out what the hell is going wrong? i put in a ss clutch line(from the rubber point to slave). afidanza aluminum lightweight flywheel, fork and fulcrum ball (even put a washer under the ball just to be on the safer side since it came with one) and a new fidanza 3.2 clutch kit. i installed everything, bled the system... and now my clutch will not disengage and allow me to go into gear.

when i replaced everything, the ball was worn(an there was no washer under it). my clutch fork was bent about 4-6mm toward the passenger side (the reason i replaced the parts...) and my clutch was SHOT, my flywheel had been resurfaced, and that too was worn down and had a shytload of cracks thru it. it was resurfaced the last time i did my clutch.

the problem is that, when i had my old crap in.. i could still drive my car. it just wasn't shifting like butter... because the clutch would work.. but not 100% for obvious reasons. so i parked it. and threw all the new crap in it.

now i do not understand how this could possibly happen. i bled the system. no air coming out of the bleeder anymore.. the pedal feels softer then it used to...almost like there is not really a point where the clutch releases. it feels like the clutch used to b4 release. there is no (sticking point). here is what i don't get though. i was dicking around with the adjustment, and eventually was able to kinda get it into gear and shift thru the gears... but, it was only due to the fact that i adjusted too far out (the rod) and started to get 2G PEDAL PUMP-UP. and then my clutch would shift ( ****ty like it did before...) but obviously i didnt drvive it more then 100feet down the road and back due to not wanting anything to mess up or my clutch to slip.

so i am wondering what might be wrong? i mean, even the clutch fork position looks much better then it did before pressure is applied. and it seems like it moves the full amount it is supposed to. when i look inside the transmission i can see the throwout bearing press on the PP fingers, but cannot see much besides that due to visual constrictions.

i was wondering if you guys have any ideas at all? i mean, i am stumped. last time i did my clutch i did not have any problem like this and all i replaced was the dam PP, disk and throwout bearing.

this is major suckage and i am getting rather upset at my car right now... i was wondering if ANYONE could possibly shed some light?

Old 06-02-2008 | 04:40 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: new clutch set, fork, ball, flywheel, can't go into gear!

This might sound dumb but did you lube the input shaft, the part where the tob rides? I had something similiar to this a long time ago. But mine was a 1g n/t.

Old 06-02-2008 | 06:38 PM

you're not supposed to lube the input shaft. you should punch whoever told you to do that.

a lot of the times when you install an aftermarket clutch, you need to get a slave cylinder extention rod. not sure if thats your case, but somethin to look into. before you do i would make sure the clutch release system is bled, and see if you can adjust your pedal to take out some of the play. this might help release it.

Old 06-02-2008 | 06:46 PM
|

already have the stock and extended rod, neither work... i did not lube my shaft, no

Old 06-02-2008 | 06:54 PM

your master cylinder might have taken a crap then

check your floor board by the clutch pedal and see if theres any fluid seeping out

Old 06-02-2008 | 07:03 PM
|

i replaced the master and slave less then 10k miles ago. neither of them leak.

Old 06-02-2008 | 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

have youo tried messing with the clutch pedal adjustment. Anytime you install and aftermarket clutch there is a different engagment point on the clutch. So you need to adjust it. There is a nut on the rod behind the pedal toward the firewall. Just loosen it and turn the rod. Then retighten. Its pretty self explanitory once your under there

Old 06-02-2008 | 09:23 PM
|

yes i wrote in my post that i adjusted it and the only time that it released was when it was fully extended and it started to get the 2G pedal pump up effect. but even then it was not easy to get into gear,

Old 06-02-2008 | 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

thats really weird. You must need and extension rod. But that is strange since you said you already did that. But that is the only thing i can think of

Old 06-02-2008 | 10:45 PM
|

yeah, thats why i am so stumped. i am gonna try to bleed the hell outta it, thats all i can think of. but i dunno what it will do. i will let you uys know what happens, but if you have any more ideas throw em at me. i really appreciate it. this thing is so close to being on the road!!! =)

Quick Reply: new clutch set, fork, ball, flywheel, can't go into gear! (UPDATE)