2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

New Eclipse Owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 11:24 PM
Default New Eclipse Owner

Hi All,

Long story short as possible, I'm in canada, and in my province there is only 1 mitsu dealership, therefore, leaving me with a lack of options. I walked into the place, and the sales people got typical and assumed since I am a girl, i'm stupid. I'll admit, I don't know EVERYTHING about the eclipse, but I know a fair bit. I'm still learning about the mechanics. Anyways, i wanted to buy used because new is about 8 grand more.

The black 2006 eclipse GS model they had on the lot, has 17398 miles (28,000kms in canada), has the sun and sound package, appears clean. It had a cracked front bumper and some scratches on the hood. The carfax report came back clean with no accident reported and the sales guy "figures" it was done on the transport truck as they brought it up from texas. It was also previously used as a "fleet" vehicle. It's an american car that's never seen our winters. The car wouldn't start when they tried to show it to me, they claim because it didn't have a block heater and wasn't plugged in since it's been sitting there for a few days, and it's been really cold. asking price $24980 canadian + taxes. They claim they're going to replace the whole bumper, and possibly the hood depending on damages found. They're also adding in the block heater, safetying it to canadian standards, putting in command start and alarm. I offered sticker price because they would not budge on it (and because they have no competition here), they accepted the deal and i made it subject to test drive when the repairs are done. I can still back out but i really want this car. Its hard to find a used one here. I'll be taking it to a different mechanic on my test drive to have them inspect it as well before i sign anything.

Now for my questions that the dealer won't answer honestly. Do I have to look for anything specific? Should I have any concerns? How are the 2006's mechanically? Any common problems? Thanks in advance!

Old 12-09-2006, 12:35 AM
Banned
Default RE: New Eclipse Owner

They really have not been out long enough to know if there are any factory defects as such. However i have heard nothing but good things about them. I really dont know what advice i can give you. It sounds to me like you have things under control.

Asside from that welcome to the forum!

Old 12-09-2006, 02:06 AM

hmmm, maybe the mileage is alittle much? can u tell the date when the car was bought? good luck on the buy.

Old 12-09-2006, 02:14 AM

the car was purchased on Dec 15/05. Almost 1 year ago exactly. Purchased as brand new, listed as a "fleet" vehicle, which from my understanding means it was probably leased by a business and given to an employee to drive as a bonus

Old 12-09-2006, 02:16 AM

ORIGINAL: Sebba

They really have not been out long enough to know if there are any factory defects as such. However i have heard nothing but good things about them. I really dont know what advice i can give you. It sounds to me like you have things under control.

Asside from that welcome to the forum!

ok, so what about my situation.. any red flags come up? Is there anything that makes you go "uh oooh... i dont know about that.." ? Anything I should question when I go to the mechanic?

Old 12-09-2006, 04:43 AM

Warning are not so much from the car but from how soon the car is out of a fleet. My best friend is a fleet sales rep for Enterprise, and as a fleet vehicle that company would of lost a lot of money only keeping that car for a year. With that milage on it is actually sounds like a rental car fleet return, and if that is the case RUN. You can be guarenteed that the maintainence was done on it (late but still done), but the problem is the type of demographic that would rent that car was HARD on it. If it was not a rental car, then I would guess the oil has been changed once since it was purchased. Unless you know the "fleet" it came out of and the history not a good idea.

Old 12-09-2006, 07:47 AM
Banned

No red flags here

Old 12-09-2006, 08:47 AM

ORIGINAL: TX97GST

Warning are not so much from the car but from how soon the car is out of a fleet. My best friend is a fleet sales rep for Enterprise, and as a fleet vehicle that company would of lost a lot of money only keeping that car for a year. With that milage on it is actually sounds like a rental car fleet return, and if that is the case RUN. You can be guarenteed that the maintainence was done on it (late but still done), but the problem is the type of demographic that would rent that car was HARD on it. If it was not a rental car, then I would guess the oil has been changed once since it was purchased. Unless you know the "fleet" it came out of and the history not a good idea.
well besides the car fax report that was given to me, i dont know how else to find out what exactly this car was used for. All the information i had was that carfax stated it was a fleet vehicle and a lease for 10 months. Carfax reported no problems and everything "gaurunteed".

Old 12-09-2006, 09:01 AM
Banned

The hell with gauruntee. Are you getting a warrenty with it?

Old 12-09-2006, 02:28 PM

The vehicle is a rental vehicle. Don't get the car at all for several reasons. 1- Rental Car. 2 Texas Car. 3- Major Miles. 4- Damage. The reasons are pretty basic and those are red flags for any car. Be patiant and the right car will come up for you. Don't jump into this one. I sell cars and know..lol. Good Luck!!!

Quick Reply: New Eclipse Owner