2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

New Engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 08:03 PM
Default RE: New Engine

im glad your not gettin hosed good luck i know how it feels for your sweet ride to not work. thats awesome the dealershipcan 12 month warranty it also

Old 01-30-2008, 09:53 PM

i'm glad i wasn't the only one that thought that looked just plain stupid lol.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:09 AM

I planned on buying a new engine for it in the future, but I wasn't going to swap it until I was able to build it up. It was supposed to be a side project (garage) since I do eventually want to push around 450hp out of it. I didn't want to do the swap with a generic engine just to yank it out to rebuild anyway. This works out much better for what I need the car for right now.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:30 AM

so right now this is nothing but a DD and a side car for you? if you have the money, now is the best time to rebuild the engine, even the block if you have the money. if you rebuild the block and replace it w/ forged internals (cost you about 1000 for the parts and it's not very hard to insall, you'll just need a torque wrench and a piston ring sleve. then you could just replace the valves that you bent in the head and have a forged well running engine again (and you wouldn't have to worry about crankwalk for a loooonnnnngggg time - you prolly won't even own the car when/if it happened).--- started to get ahead of myself. i'll stop here

Old 01-31-2008, 10:47 AM

Too bad, but I do need this car running now for work.

My plan is to get an engine with lower mileage, and rebuild it with all high performace internals in my garage. I'm not really concerned about how long itwill take to rebuild as much as I'm interested in how well it's built. Once this becomes my second vehicle I'll garage it, and start on the engine upgrades. It's possible for me to purchase the newer engine while I still have this as my DD.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:57 AM

why don't you just take the engine that is messed up right now and build it?? i mean, it's YOUR engine. tell the shop that you want to take it home afterwards.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:28 AM

Maybe there is some confusion. I'm having the existing engine reaparied and retimed. I need this car to run now. While it's on the road, I'm planning to purchase an additional engine to build. Once it's finished (I'll be taking my time...learning) it'll be ready for a swap. If the eclipse is my second car by that time, I'll just garage it and upgrade other compnents as well (turbo, ic, intake, replace suspension, brakes, all hoses, fuel lines...etc). By that time it'll be road ready, and real fun to drive.

But right now I need the car as my daily driver for work and such.

It looks like we're thinking of the same thing, but our timing is off.
Everything you mentioned about the engine is precisely what I want to do, but I'll be doing it to another motor. then maybe sell off the older motor. idk yet.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:15 PM

gotcha. i thought you were purchasing a new motor for the car right now and then going to just mod that one.

k well check this out. TheEngineer has a 6 bolt block that you could buy from him very cheap. that would be a good start. (incase you don't know a 6 bolt block is the block that came on the 92.5 and before Eclipse Turbo models. It had very minor differences but never walked a crank so it's just what we call preventative maintnence).
depending on how far you wanted to go (judging from the sound of the build, doesn't seem like ur in much of a hurry) i'd hot tank the block, machine the cylinders to match my new set of forged pistons. get some forged rods and you can use a stock crank but you'll have to linebore the maincap for the crank to fit (if you don't know what that is, the machine shop does). and bam you have a block that is good to go for 700+whp. then all u need is the mounts if TE doesn't already have them, water pump etc etc. and you are half way done on the motor.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

yes i want to get rid of this engine, haha. But i really do not want to ship it and your in NC so i dont know how well thats gonna work

Old 02-01-2008, 12:51 PM

Good news from the dealership today. No valvetrain damage at all, compression is excellent, and the car is running. It was out of time by about 3 teeth. The tech said that he thinks either a piece of the timinig cover (which has a crack down the middle) fell into the pulleys or the tensioner is out since the timing belt starts to vibrate at about 3k rpm. Either way, they reset the timing, replaced all the belts, did a compression check, inspected the head (again no damage), replaced the crank seal and both cam seals (all were leaking traces of oil), and replaced the tensioner for $960.

I'm getting an estimate to replace the engine mounts, and replace the cruise control actuator.

This means I can get my project engine sooner. w00t!

Quick Reply: New Engine