2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

newbie with a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 03:09 AM
Default newbie with a few questions

Hey everyone i'm kind of new with the whole eclipse thing. i've had a couple of friends with tsi talons and i always wanted one then i came up with a trade to get out of mini trucks for 97 gst (damn good trade i think) but i've just got a few questions to make sure not to make a mess out of my stuff. My car already has a jdm motor, ingen cold air intake, hks bov, greddy boost controller, and 3" stainless exhuast, i've only had it for 3 weeks and i'm having some troulbe. didn't have it a week and a half and it keep blowing the line between the bov and the intake off i tightened it up with ratchet and socket then it blew my bov off. I keep the boost controller on low which runs about 11 - 12 psi of boost on high it has but out up to 20 psi. then harmonic balancer broke Lol o but it gets better i didn't have it back three days and it got stuck in third when i down shifted to turn into a road i came home pulled tranny out and off it went to tranny shop (3rd and 4th gear shift rail broke) third felt funny anyways. i orderd a light weight flywheel and stage 2 clutch. is there any danger in the boost i'm putting out on my engine? if so what do i need to do to make sure i won't screw anything else up. i can go ahead and list a couple of kills just to make the gst guys look good out there 97 civic hatchback h20 swap with ls cams spraying a 50 shot of nos 94 honda prelude h22 exhaust intake cams computer reworkd pulleys that's all i have had time for but there is a civic with a b18 coming in the near future just cant get him to quit being scared (sure is good at talking **** though) brags about running 9.30s in a 1/8 all traks are closed around here right now what should i exspect my care to run on the track J/W
Hondas Rock yeah right thanks alot any help towards my car would be great new with the eclipses and want to kill some honda junk

Old 11-27-2005, 09:53 AM
Default RE: newbie with a few questions

ok 20 PSI is too high unless you have fuel and a new turbo. the stock T25 turbo is maxed out at like 17-18PSI and the stock fuel is good till about 16-17PSI. you will do some damage if you run 20# regualrly. If your hoses are clamped on correctly they shouldnt blow off 11PSI isnt reall enough to do that i dont think unless its put on wrong.

Old 11-27-2005, 10:14 AM

this may explain alot....

[IMG]local://upfiles/4562/06FEB11639BE4EB0BADF72F03D363457.jpg[/IMG]

Edit: I know the year is wrong i didnt make this i found it.

Old 11-27-2005, 07:25 PM

it normally on high puts out around 17 or 18 sometimes 19 but it was a good cool night where everything was right and it hit 20.2 a few times is there anything that i can do to make them more dependable and hold up good or what do i have to do for them. What about turbo timer good investment to help your car or no. what about the Front Mount Intercooler good investment i want to do the stuff right when i do it i want a fast car that i can have fun with it is pretty quick now but nothing is fast enough

Old 11-27-2005, 07:35 PM

ORIGINAL: 1997gsteclipse

it normally on high puts out around 17 or 18 sometimes 19 but it was a good cool night where everything was right and it hit 20.2 a few times is there anything that i can do to make them more dependable and hold up good or what do i have to do for them. What about turbo timer good investment to help your car or no. what about the Front Mount Intercooler good investment i want to do the stuff right when i do it i want a fast car that i can have fun with it is pretty quick now but nothing is fast enough
Ok running that high of boost is going to do 2 things lean your car out alot on stock fuel and it will knock and kill your turbo. a turbo timer is a good start it will help the life of the turbo itself but a T25 is about useless so i say save your money untill you get a better turbo. A Frontmount is a good idea it will lower your intake temps for sure but on a T25 it may hurt you as far as power wise.

As far as what to do, get a feul system, injectors and pump and even an SAFC tuned or something. after that get rid of the POS T25 and get atleast a 16G large or small it will make a big difference then at that point you should have no worries about anything and a turbo timer would keep the turbo alive longer and a front mount would be good for the higher output of a 16G

Old 11-28-2005, 10:49 AM

your gonna b running in the 14's on the 1/4 man...i have the same car and thats wat im runnin but im stock so u might hit 13's who knows...

Old 11-28-2005, 10:50 AM

will it hurt to run 11 - 13 psi with all my stock fuel i've got a air fuel gauge but i think it is messed up it doesn't move at all stays on rich all the time. i don't have alot of money right now to do a turbo upgrade i would really like too but just want it to be real reliable before i go pushing more stuff towards it. will doing the bigger turbo, fuel help it out and actually still let it live or is it just going to kill it really quick killing the performance by installing a front mount? is that b/c it looses a psi of boost mounting one or what. when upgrading your turbo will it put out more boost or does it just let it spool up quicker. May have to look into it like i said when i do soemthing i want to do it right thanks for any help i get

Old 11-28-2005, 06:44 PM

ORIGINAL: 1997gsteclipse

will it hurt to run 11 - 13 psi with all my stock fuel i've got a air fuel gauge but i think it is messed up it doesn't move at all stays on rich all the time. i don't have alot of money right now to do a turbo upgrade i would really like too but just want it to be real reliable before i go pushing more stuff towards it. will doing the bigger turbo, fuel help it out and actually still let it live or is it just going to kill it really quick killing the performance by installing a front mount? is that b/c it looses a psi of boost mounting one or what. when upgrading your turbo will it put out more boost or does it just let it spool up quicker. May have to look into it like i said when i do soemthing i want to do it right thanks for any help i get
OK 11-13 PSI is nearly stock boost levels for that and it will be fine there. your A\F guage isnt much of a tuning measure unless you can see the AFR and your not useing the LED style. your stock turbo is kinda junk and that is the only thing id worry about it should be fine if you drive in normal most of the time.. upgradeing the turbo could work in both ways, it will get the T25 out which is good but you can make more power which may cause things to break sooner(depends on how much power you want to make and how you drive) By adding a front mount you will loose a few PSI which is no biggy but the t25 doesnt flow as good as alot of other turbos so it is overkill. upgradeing a turbo wont make it spool quicker or run higher boost persay but it will be much more efficient than the stock turbo and will have a higher output and capable of running more boost if that is what you want to do.

For example my buddy has a 99GST before he got his small 16G turbo his moddes were MBC @ 189SI, greddy type s BOV, front mount with IC pipeing ,turbo back 3inch exhaust, intake and SAFCII id was faster than him with my stock EVO then he got his s16G and was faster than me by quite a bit and he was only running 14PSI on the 16G and his SAFC isnt really tuned right either he tries tuning himself

Old 11-28-2005, 07:23 PM

i personallly hate SAFC, if i was you i would look into a GM MAF translater

Old 11-28-2005, 07:40 PM

ORIGINAL: domestickilla

i personallly hate SAFC, if i was you i would look into a GM MAF translater
the SAFC is childs play but it can make a difference with mods

Quick Reply: newbie with a few questions