2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

no compression

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 04:17 AM
Default no compression

So i bought a talon TSi last friday, and it hasnt been running so great since i bought it. So i took it to a dealership nearby to get it hooked up to the computer and find out whats wrong with it. So i've been running on 3 cylinders because cylinder 3 has no compression at all.

How many things can no compression result from?

Would it pass deq with no compression on one cylinder? because the dealership i bought it at has to fix anything wrong with it to make it pass deq. Its the law or something. please say no it wont pass......

Old 02-03-2006, 04:20 AM
Default RE: no compression

im not sure what deq means, but if u got it with any kind of warranty they have a lot of work to do. it could be anything from a blown head gasket (although in this case i doubt it) to bent valves, but either way itl be a lot of work

Old 02-03-2006, 04:32 AM

deq is the emissions place. it stands for department of environmental quality

Old 02-03-2006, 05:06 AM
Super Moderator

Well depends on if they test for fuel in the emissions cuz the dead cylinder probably isn't burning well I have no idea if it'll actually pass. All we have here is safety inspections.

Old 02-03-2006, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

I hate those damn emmisions tests. My talon failed twice for it. And the second time they didn't even rev the engine to clean out the piping, and i was still double all the state requirements [:@]. But for some dumb *** reason the kid still bought it off me

Old 02-03-2006, 11:02 AM

when i had no compression in my #3 cylinder, it was because i was going 125 on the highway and it got to hot and one of the exhaust valves had taken a $hi*. so the head had to come off.

there could be a hole in the piston because when the valve went on my car, people were saying to look down the hole for the spark plug and see if you can see anything out of the ordinary.

worst case, youll have to take the head off and see for yourself whats wrong.

Old 02-03-2006, 05:04 PM

Hmmm. I am going through this problem right now. Well coming to the end actually. Not with a dealership or anything but the no compression. Check all you paperwork for the sale of the car. See if you can find anything about the car condition. Take it back to them with the compression tester and show them. Thats all I can say on that subject.

As for the compression... My car ran on 3 cylinders. We all though spark. New plugs, wires, coil pack, igniter, everything! Still ran like crap. Finally got a hold of a compression tester. #4 cylinder read 0. Zero compression. I got lucky in a way. Got the head off and had a big chunk out of my exhaust valve. To get all new valves and the head resurfaced was about 300 bucks. My buddy and I did all teh work so labor expense wasn't a problem.

Before:

Name:  brokenhead1.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  41.0 KB

Name:  brokenhead2.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  43.1 KB

After:

Best thing to do is try the dealership first. If nothing else...get the head off and pray its not in the bottom end.

Old 02-03-2006, 05:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Jeffisdecentttttt

deq is the emissions place. it stands for department of environmental quality
ah, out in cali its know as CARB, the ***** of all emissions standards

Old 02-03-2006, 10:32 PM

so i didnt pass emissions today. im pretty sure its valves.....yup

Old 02-03-2006, 11:54 PM

Ain't this some ****!I am in TN and we have no tests that our cars go through!LOLDamn good thang,mine wouldn't make it

Quick Reply: no compression