2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

no spark

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 02:57 PM
Default no spark

ok so i was out driving my 97 gst (bone stock) and i pull out of a gas station and some guy comes up behind me goin like 80, idk its a friday night he was prolly drunk, so i punched it and when i shifted to second (at 5k) it just died and now it wont start and there is no spark at all and no check engine light on :/

Old 09-22-2008, 06:47 PM
Banned
Default RE: no spark

Any odd stench in the car?

Check the timing belt dude.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:07 PM

no stench but the night that it shut off on me whenever i tried to start it there was a strange smell, couldnt identify what it was tho but now whenever i turn it over i dont smell anything
[align=left] [/align]

Old 09-22-2008, 07:27 PM
Banned

Like a sulphur kind of smell?

The smell makes me think it was the ECU.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:21 PM

hmmm i dont really remember what the smell was like but i remember standing there with my friend saying wat the crap is THAT smell lol it was definately a first for me. but i will check the timing belt tomorrow morning and ill take the comp out and have a look but how will i know for sure if the computer was fried??? my friend told me it will smell kinda like rotten eggs but im sure there are more specific ways to figure out if its broken or not. what makes me wonder if its the computer is the timing, the computer goes down the very second i shift to second gear right after i let off the clutch. kind of wierd cuz it was running like a champ up till that moment and had no warning signs, or is this common?

Old 09-22-2008, 08:36 PM
Banned

You can tell if its the ECU by opening it up and looking for burn marks.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:21 PM

how does an ecu jsut die?. is that even possible lol

Old 09-22-2008, 09:27 PM
Banned

Totally.

If the caps leak for long enough, there is no telling what the acidity will do to other electrical components.

Old 09-23-2008, 03:32 AM

If the odd smell came from the engine bay, it's not the ECU. The ECU is under the center of the dash, you would have smelled that inside the car only.
If it didn't smell like any type of fluid or mechanical smell (that one is hard to explain), then it could be electrical. Check your fusible links (not fuses) for any broken links. Check the ignition transistor and coils.
The CEL will only come on once the ECU has been able to run initial diagnostics, which it hasn't been able to since the car won't start. It can get an accurate reading from any of the sensors.
Are you getting fuel? That's all I need to know. Let's focus on spark since you're not getting that.
Do you have a stereo system with a capacitor? Your car is turning over, correct? It just won't start? Have you tried to push start it?
I wonder if you spiked the electronics by dropping it into second at 5k which would cause the alternator to put out quite a bit of amperage especially since you may have came from a lower RPM range.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:55 AM

i smelled it when i was inside the car, my friend who was outside the car smelled nothing, what do you mean by fusible links? i dont have a capacitor but the stereo is still working fine still and if that had caused a problem wouldnt it not be? i havent checked fuel yet which i should have but ive been focusing on the spark problem. yes the car is turning over and yes i have tried to push start it, im otw outside to yank the computer out of it right now ill post back in a bit
[align=left] [/align]

Quick Reply: no spark