2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Noise when cold start

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 02:55 PM
Default Noise when cold start

My car cranks fairly slow when really cold. But that not the issue. What i notice is that first thing every morning when i start the car in the cold, i hear a click then a whinning sound that gets louder and louder then goes away. Like something powering up. Noise coming from engine bay. Once car has been started and warmed up it wont make that sound again. Wondering if its something i should be concern with, and if you would happen to know what it could be.

Old 01-28-2007, 01:44 PM
Default RE: Noise when cold start

probably your serpentine belt... mine did the same thing when i went outta town to idaho and it was really cold. you may need a new one... just my guess tho. those usually show more symptom under cold conditions cuz the rubber on em is harder when the friction of it moving heats it up a bit... then it grabs better i am guessing... just cuz thats what my car did too. i still need to change it! =)

Old 01-28-2007, 05:35 PM

I see.. well to better explain .. it sound more like a little motor sound starting up. Humming noise to better explain. Whinning kind seem way off cuz its not a high pitch noise.

Old 01-28-2007, 07:46 PM

It could be your starter or alternator or just the fact that the oil is in the oil pan and metal parts are scraping against each other. Man, weird things happen when it's cold outside.
You sleep outside. I bet when you wake up, you will be freezing and won't be able to move much until you warm up either, lmao.

Old 01-28-2007, 11:06 PM

Could it be the oil pump whining while its trying to pull up the thick oil? Watch your pressure gauge as the whining happens and see if they go along with each other. When i had 10w40 in my gsx& it was about 10 degrees outside i could hear the pump whine on a cold startup. The light would go out right before the whine would stop, it onlt lasted a second or 2.

Old 01-29-2007, 02:46 AM

yeah, and what weight oil you got in there... what exactly is the temperature thenn cuz thicker oil only gets harder to flow as it gets colder... hmm... humming..i really dont know bout that. i have funny noises in my engine... but wtf? it still runs good. and has sounded like that for forever.. lol

Old 01-29-2007, 05:47 AM

im pretty sure my car makes the same noise you are talking about. Its nothing to worry about.

Old 01-29-2007, 08:33 AM

I always hear the timing belt whine a little too when its cold. I can honestly say ive never heard a mitsu engine with a quiet timing belt.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:56 PM

Yah well the car still runso that a good news in itself. Each week i discover something. Yah the noiise changes as oil pressure goes up. and once oil pressure is ablut 1/4 above the low mark the noise is gone. I am using 5w30 for the winter. It just came to attention cuz it was colder a few weeks back and it was silent. I am due for an oil change. Looks thick and dark brown.

Old 01-30-2007, 07:12 AM

Time to change it, oil might be broke down. not good for it. Does it seperate off the dip stick?

Quick Reply: Noise when cold start