2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Non Turbo->Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 09:47 PM
Default Non Turbo->Turbo

Sup guys new here to the world of mitsubishi. Always been a Toyota junky. But just wanted to ask if I were to get a non turboed 2g eclipse would I be able to turbo it in the future? Also I was checking the frame specs and such between the GS and GSX models and would like to know if it would be at all possible to do an AWD conversion on to the car in the future? Any and all info would be appreciated.

Old 07-20-2005, 11:00 PM
Default RE: Non Turbo->Turbo

Ok ill be honest with you it would more than likely that in the end if you buy a GS and swap drivetrain and all you spend a WHOLE lot more than if you just buy a GSX now.

I can give you advise and all it would be is to save and buy a GSX from the start then use the money you were thinking of useing to do a swap to do some modds.

Old 07-21-2005, 10:10 AM

in my opinion you can buy a gsx and spend money on all the upgrades or you could buy a GS or RS "not proud to say it but they are a dime a dozen" and put a turbo kit that has all the stuff you would spend moeny on and spend about $1000 less if not a lower than buyinga gsx there is just the time factor.

Old 08-08-2005, 11:59 PM

yea but you also have to take into account that if you buy a gs or rs and want to build it you're basically shooting yourself in the foot... turbo it.. run 10 pounds of boost and see what happens in about a month when it explodes.. remember your dealing with a neon engine here its not exactly made for boost.. where as the gsx (or gst) motor is made for boost and has one of the strongest stock engines out there.. a car that comes with a turbo and that is made for a turbo with ALWAYS have less problems down the road rather than throwing a turbo on a gs or rs

Old 08-09-2005, 12:51 AM

g9s5t is exactly right. A common misconception is that the 2.0 N/A and the 2.0 Turbocharged engines are the same with the sole difference of a turbocharger. The engines in the GST's and the GSX's are completaly different than those in the GS's and RS's. I used to have a GS and now I have a GST, so I've noticed the differences. There's a lot. Those engines are not made to be put under boost, so you would probably end up needing to do a complete engine overhaul and rebuild everything with stronger parts. Oh, and converting a front wheel drive 2nd gen eclipse to an all wheel drive eclipse would be an incredibly difficult job, especially if your eclipse still has the origional GS or RS motor because none of the all-wheel drive parts would fit to the engine that was never produced in an all-wheel drive model. You would save your self a lot of frustration with buying an origionally turbocharged model, and if you absolutaly need the AWD, i would never even consider trying to convert one and your best bet would be going with a GSX. The car is built to perform anyways. Good luck with whatever you do, and I hope this helps. Sorry if this isen't the feedback you wanted to hear, but this is my truthfull opinion. Welcome to the forum.

Old 08-09-2005, 01:26 AM

ORIGINAL: g9s5t

yea but you also have to take into account that if you buy a gs or rs and want to build it you're basically shooting yourself in the foot... turbo it.. run 10 pounds of boost and see what happens in about a month when it explodes.. remember your dealing with a neon engine here its not exactly made for boost.. where as the gsx (or gst) motor is made for boost and has one of the strongest stock engines out there.. a car that comes with a turbo and that is made for a turbo with ALWAYS have less problems down the road rather than throwing a turbo on a gs or rs
The 420a can handel 10 psi no problem, that is if the motor is in a well condiation, the 420a may be a neon motor but has a higher compression ratio than the 4g63. On the 420a the first thing to fail mechanically are the piston rings at 13 psi, then the rods at 15. I know people running 10 psi on a daily driver for the past 2 years with out any mojor complications. Also the rs/gs is much lighter then the gsx or the gst. Whats this all mean? A 420a pushing 8psi can run a 13.9, on street tires and w/ an aftermarket exaust. If its driven by a profesional. If I am not mistaken the gst/gsx run 15.1/14.8 ish stock. Like you said with a 4g63 boost motor there are a lot less problems then a n/a motor with a turbo on it, in the long run.

Bottom line if you want a street sleeper and something thats different then what everyone else has then go to 2gnt.com and just start to read. A stage 2 kit, like the ones from Hahn, Star, and TSI Performance, are going to run you about 3 grand, on the other hand conceptillusions.com will be relasing their stage two kit in a few months for 2200, but it requires a rebuild. Also they offer a stage one kit that operates at 8 psi (same as Hahn) for 1300. If money is tight I suggest that you Fab up your own kit which can cost only 1000. If you dont like to work on your car or dont want to have to deal with the headachs of a 420a buy a 4g63, 6 bolt is what I reccomend. It may look like a turd but their but good as hell, if I could do the car thing all over again I would so get a 1g 4g63.

Old 08-09-2005, 04:41 AM

Hahn is the only kit worth getting for a gs, but its still going to give you problems. if you dont have a car yet do it right from the start and get a gsx. i really doubt many people can run 13's with a gs even turboed. traction will suck and your motor will not be reliable. also ive never heard of anyopne running 13psi on that motor with stock internals. and byt the time you've upgraded the internals youve spent wayyy too much money.

Old 08-09-2005, 12:21 PM

ORIGINAL: DSMTalonAWD51

Hahn is the only kit worth getting for a gs, but its still going to give you problems. if you dont have a car yet do it right from the start and get a gsx. i really doubt many people can run 13's with a gs even turboed. traction will suck and your motor will not be reliable. also ive never heard of anyopne running 13psi on that motor with stock internals. and byt the time you've upgraded the internals youve spent wayyy too much money.
Star is a much better kit seeing how it comes with an external wastegate letting you controle the boost, also it comes with a better bov and fpr than the hahn carcraft pos. Also learn you stuff before you trash talk a 420a, many 420a at 2gnt.com are in the low 12's, heck even on dsmtuners.com, shich are mostly 4g63's have some kids running in the low 13's with a 420a, http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/memb...s&userid=11352 <---- link to time slip.

Old 08-09-2005, 01:10 PM

way to much money where i come from it is a 3-4 grand differance between a gs and gs-t/gsx. that means i can rebuild the motor for a turbo and place a turbokit on it with the parts you replace on a gs-t/gsx and be at the same price where if i bought a gs-t/gsx i would be buying 2 turbokits spending anywhere from 2-3 grand more than a gs with the same mods and i got a new motor. why would he do that? also the trouble of finding a gs-t/gsx puts him out a car for a little bit of time also while rebuilding motor he will have a little down time so either way he has down time. I would keep the car u got and rebuild it for a turbo $1300 and than put turbo on it. from what i have seen at the races his car turboed would do 13.5 or lower.

Old 08-09-2005, 11:10 PM

ORIGINAL: slow420a

Star is a much better kit seeing how it comes with an external wastegate letting you controle the boost, also it comes with a better bov and fpr than the hahn carcraft pos. Also learn you stuff before you trash talk a 420a, many 420a at 2gnt.com are in the low 12's, heck even on dsmtuners.com, shich are mostly 4g63's have some kids running in the low 13's with a 420a, http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/memb...s&userid=11352 <---- link to time slip.
Im not trash talking, im saying it costs wayy too much money to run fast times on that motor. it was not designed for high boost. And you have yet to prove my statements wrong. All you said was that many people run 12's, and then put up a link to a mid 13 second qm time, yet you failed to mention that he has a built bottom end. did you notice that? he would never trap 115mph on a stock bottom end. Im sure that guy spent thousands on his motor to build it up, and that is my point.

Quick Reply: Non Turbo->Turbo