2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

O2 housing with external dump

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 11:42 PM
Default O2 housing with external dump

I was wondering if anyone has expereice with O2 housings like this one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=250179992849
are they any good? Will they mess anything up? How do they sound?

Old 12-27-2007, 02:11 AM
Banned
Default RE: O2 housing with external dump

They are LOUD lol

Old 12-27-2007, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator

If you are going to get one, id say check out SBR. They have a good quality one. And everyone that sells them will say that they help with boost creep and all that, but really its just for sound. Thats it. And when you hit full spool it will be loud as hell. There is a reason they call a wastegate dump the "screamer" pipe

Old 12-27-2007, 01:37 PM

would this be a good example? http://youtube.com/watch?v=nuxFYDaCbgQ watch toward the end

Old 12-27-2007, 03:57 PM
Banned

No not really...

Old 12-27-2007, 03:58 PM

i tried...

Old 01-03-2008, 12:31 PM

ORIGINAL: TheEngineer

If you are going to get one, id say check out SBR. They have a good quality one. And everyone that sells them will say that they help with boost creep and all that, but really its just for sound. Thats it. And when you hit full spool it will be loud as hell. There is a reason they call a wastegate dump the "screamer" pipe
I'll have to disagree on you with that one TE.

Straight from Dave Buschur:
"When you start doing your testing on the wastegate being dumped back into the exhaust you are going to find that at low power levels nothing makes much difference. (OT here for a second, ****ty exhausts, ****ty i/c's, ****ty cams, ****ty tunes all work at low HP levels.) The higher the HP levels go the more the ****ty parts show up and kill the combination.

With that said IF you do actually take the time to push the car and experiment with the dump tube going back into the exhaust path you are going to find that you will need to dumb it back into the exhaust so the dump flows directly into the path of the exhaust coming from the turbine wheel and you will find that dump needs to be between 12" and 18" AFTER the turbine wheel.

I've done a little testing in the 19 years I've been doing this. This is one reason we don't recirculate the dump tube, there is no good clean way to do it and it robs power."

Oh, and to the OP. Check out punishment-racing.com. I run their tial flanged o2 and love it. You might find the sound to be... unpleasant though. I ended up with the recirc'd o2 housing... if I could go back though I'd get the dumped. It isvery loud and kind of *weird sounding, but after seeing what Buschur had to say about it, I changed my mind.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

it really makes that much of a difference being vented? I mean i figured it might make a bigger difference for a larger turbo application. But i didnt think for something like a 16g it would be noticable

Old 01-03-2008, 12:41 PM

ORIGINAL: TheEngineer

it really makes that much of a difference being vented? I mean i figured it might make a bigger difference for a larger turbo application. But i didnt think for something like a 16g it would be noticable
And you're right, in a way. It won't really be noticeablein an EIII16g car. But like Dave was saying... if he does eventually want to shoot for higher horsepower/bigger turbo's etc... does he really want to be replacing parts over again. Know what I mean? If he thinks this is where he's going to stop (which most of us know, it never does) then that's fine. If it's a daily driver, like mine, I'd really think about it too. Cops will notice it, neighbors will notice it... all reasons why I didn't go for it in the first place.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:02 PM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=njCNFEpeDJ4

i like that vid better

Quick Reply: O2 housing with external dump