2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Oh oh! Check Engine Light came on...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 08:18 AM
Default RE: Oh oh! Check Engine Light came on...

i didnt bother to read all of the posts because it seemed like most of it was just fighting, so if this has already been noted, or doesnt make sense because i missed some info...whatev.

If you have no cat, you WILL geta CEL. You need to get the o2 sensor away from the exhausts direct path by using a...gah whats it called....Its used to move spark plugs away from their actual mounting spot...gahhhh, someone has to know what theyre called...im blanking right now.

Old 01-29-2007, 08:31 AM

Yeah, that was already mentioned Jeff
What he needs is either a cat (most likely not going to happen) or an o2 simulator.
Here's a link from Tuners... http://dsmtuners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=203992 If you don't know already, you have to type in the site because it's filtered.
I think I know what you're talking about though Jeff. Is it an "anti-fouler" or "non-fouler"...like this one..

[IMG]local://upfiles/10268/9A12B51FADBD4DEF9196B4A39FE9E9C1.jpg[/IMG]

Made to look like this, when done...
[IMG]local://upfiles/10268/568355426F2C4611B47448A7A1031D10.jpg[/IMG]

Here's the original thread too.
http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5468

Old 01-29-2007, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

Go into our DIY section. I made a post on how to do the antifouler. And it does work to get rid of the CEL. And on the IAC thing. Almost every time you see those two codes together, i forget the number but the last two you said, it usually means the IAC. This wont be the last time i bet you see those pesky codes

Old 01-29-2007, 10:37 AM
Banned

So why is it on now? Why not before the head gasket blew?

Thats most likely it. I thought that it would only throw the o2 sensor code if it was the exhaust... guess i was wrong

Old 01-29-2007, 10:42 AM

ORIGINAL: TheEngineer

Go into our DIY section. I made a post on how to do the antifouler. And it does work to get rid of the CEL. And on the IAC thing. Almost every time you see those two codes together, i forget the number but the last two you said, it usually means the IAC. This wont be the last time i bet you see those pesky codes
That's right, I thought I saw it in here before. Sorry TE, I forgot about that one

Old 01-29-2007, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator

It could also be that one of the o2 sensors was partially fouled or whatnot causing it all to equal out and not throw a code. Who knows there could be tons of reasons the emmissions system code never threw until now.

Old 01-29-2007, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

its probably because of the higher boost and bigger turbo, and that it ussually takes about 100 mi or so for the computer to do a full read of everything, so that may be why. Mikes evo tooka while before it ever threw the o2 code when he had no cat

Old 01-29-2007, 09:09 PM

You guys are not gonna believe it! Well, the CEL was off all day yesterday and today. So i decided to go get my emissions done to see if it would specify the problem. Well, they noticed no cat, so automatic FAILURE. Which sucks. And my friend works there, so i told him to run it anyway, to see what comes on. GUESS what? IT PASSED! LOL! But the manager there said to bring it back when the cat is on just so that he can see it, and he will pass me. Well, my friend just printed out another copy with PASS. LOL! SO i passed, without a cat! How sweet is that? lol

Old 01-29-2007, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator

Haha, thats awesome. I dont know how you passed. When my cat was bad on my talon i more than doubled the state regulations

Old 01-29-2007, 10:33 PM

I'm still wondering why you put the exhaust on knowing that you have emissions testing, without a cat?
It's cool that you passed and that you have a "hook up" there, but if a cop decides to check for her/himself, you can get a ticket and the inspection station could get in trouble and your hook up could be fired.
A high flow cat would help you stay emission legal without worrying about any of that, if you even worry about that.

So do you have to go back with a cat installed? Or are you taking your "pass" copy on the road until the next inspection?

Quick Reply: Oh oh! Check Engine Light came on...