2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Oil Pressure Gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 04:51 AM
Default Oil Pressure Gauge?

How serious is it to hook up an autometer mechanical oil pressure gauge? I have another space in my pod and i want to put something in there....If its a hard hookup then forget it but I thought i would do it if its not to serious. Would you go with the 0-100psi or the 0-150psi? What else could i put in there besides the oil....? Thanks

Old 03-17-2007, 06:34 AM
Default RE: Oil Pressure Gauge?

0-100psi is fine, but I wouldn't use a mechanical oil pressure gauge in the cabin. That would be a big mess if the line was ever ripped, or it made it's way off the nipple, or the gauge leaked.
An electric gauge is fine if you want to monitor oil pressure with an aftermarket gauge. Sure the mechanical gauges are more accurate, but how accurate do you need that gauge to be in a street driven vehicle?

Oh yeah, if this is all the gauges you have now.
***Current Mods***
Kenwood Deck
Boost gauge
PC Valve Cover

I say an Wideband or EGT before an oil pressure gauge.

Old 03-17-2007, 01:18 PM

Not to start a big post war here. But I used to run an import shop in nashville. One of the other owners and I got into a huge debate over this very thing. We called several manufactureres, and even did our own test. Electrical gauges are just as accurate as mechanical ones. Mechanical ones tend to take longer to respond, but electrical gauges tend to only be super accurate below 300 psi. Other than that they read about the same.
Auto-meter told us straight out that there was no diffrence in the reading from one to another. Neither did apexi, blitz, or defi.
We set up a test, and found they both read exactly the same, with no "speed" diffrence in them at all.
for cabin operation, I would always use an elecrical, for the reasons silvercoupe mentioned. The last thing you want is for an oil line to burst, and spray your interior down with hot oil. Think of it this way, youd lose your motor and the interior if your car in one fell swoop.

Old 03-17-2007, 01:19 PM

oh, and i agree on the wideband, or at least an air-fuel gauge.

Old 03-17-2007, 01:56 PM

wideband or nothing, cheap a/f meter is a waste of money and space in your car.
for oil pressure i prefer mechanical because i always have problems with electrical sending units.
if you buy the copper tube kit for an oil gauge you dont have to worry about the cheap *** nylon line breaking.