Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

oil pressure gauge

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 02:16 AM
Default oil pressure gauge

i am installing a oil pressure gauge and the directions that it came with suck. they are totally useless. however, since the wires are the same color as my boost gauge, we got 3 of the 4 wires hooked up. what i need to do now is hook the 4th one up the the actually thing that catches the signal for the gauge. it also came with another piece that i'm not sure where it goes or what it's for, but i'm sure i need it. i guess what i'm really asking is has anyone installed one of these and how to do it? i have the jdm model you can buy off ebay if that helps

Old 01-26-2007, 03:46 AM
Default RE: oil pressure gauge

So, you bought a stock Japanese OEM spec oil pressure gauge? You could have just bought a US OEM spec gauge, it's the same thing, minus the "JDM" title, lol. I just bustin' your ***** bro. I hope you don't believe that the gauge is an actual "JDM" piece.

Anyway, bustin' ***** aside, that extra piece that you're referring to is most likely the sender. That goes on or near your oil filter bracket or where your stock oil pressure sender is now...or just use your stock sender output and run that to your "JDM" gauge. Do you have a pic of this "extra piece"?

Old 01-26-2007, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

that extra peice is the sending unit. There are a couple ways to mount it up. One is to mount it right to the oil filter housing. The other is to mount it in the engine bay and get an oil line to run it there.

Old 01-26-2007, 01:34 PM

If the extra piece is threaded on one side and has a fin for attaching a wire connector to the other side, then that is the sending unit. If your car only had an "idiot" light for oil before, you will have to replace the old sending unit with the new one. The sending unit usually is located on the side of the block, sometimes near the oil filter. You may have to buy a brass adapter if the threads of the new unit don't match your old. If you want the "idiot" light to continue to work, you have to buy a "T" to connect both the old and the new. If not, the "idiot" light will remain lit all the time while the key is on.

Old 01-26-2007, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

you could have just called it the oil light . jk I have heard that rather than just threading it right in, you ran a line between, that the unit would last longer.

Old 01-26-2007, 10:09 PM

ORIGINAL: TheEngineer

I have heard that rather than just threading it right in, you ran a line between, that the unit would last longer.
This is true, you basically remove the motor vibration right out of the equation and that right there is the reason why most of those oil pressure sending units go dead.
Mine went dead while I was driving home to Virginia from Missouri (1200mile trip) to see my parents and bro. Talk about ****tin' my pants! I was cruising along at 75-80mph, tach at 3k I think and I noticed a needle drop from the corner of my eye...the oil pressure! I pull over and checked the normal stuff. Nothing wrong. I figured it was just the oil pressure sending unit because my oil light didn't come on, good oil level, no leaks and so on.

Anyway, the location as VR4 stated can be in those areas. The 4g63 is on the oil filter bracket whereas my 6g73 had it on the block and away from the filter. Either way, the dummy light and pressure sender use one wire and the unit itself is usually the ground. I think the since the unit is the ground, most folks don't bother with a remote mount, because you'd have to ground the sender somehow...easy enough, but extra work for some[>:]