2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Opps.. Problem..

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 05:33 AM
Default Opps.. Problem..

Alright, I shifted the car from third kinda high rpm, and missed 4th and hit 2nd... The motor wound up for a sec, but i hit the clutch almost imediatly after.. But the car dropped so fast in rpms, it died.. I shifted back into 3rd, and the motor was running again, but i Couldnt give it any gas to keep going... Which makes me think there is still compression in the motor.. But there might be something wrong with the fuel getting to the motor? Timing get messed up? Its still running through my head on what could of happened.. My first thought was the motor, but after thinking about it more, the motor still ran after shifting back into gear and letting the clutch out.. (Kind of like popping the clutch) But would it do that if it wasnt getting compression in the cylinders?

I dunno.. I was gonna park it in another week for the winter, so its not the biggest deal if something major did happen, but I dont want to replace anything expensive if I dont have to...

Old 09-02-2006, 12:09 PM
Banned
Default RE: Opps.. Problem..

Well first things i would check would be the head. Can you tell me if the car went past the redline? You could have gotten valve float and that would mean new valves. Second could be the head gasket. Thord maybe a timing jump but its unlikely.

Old 09-02-2006, 03:14 PM

Theres no fluids leaking anywhere... The gasket seems fine.. I dont know if it went past redline or not.. I hit the clutch right after i let it out and heard the motor wind up... So I dont think it made it to redline, but im not positive.. Do eclipse's have a safety built in for when something like that happens? I unhooked the battery cable and im gonna go check it in a bit once the cpu resets itself... I would think it would start though if the valves were floating.. it would just let oil into the cylinders. I believe right? And the belt seems to be fine.. It turns, and there isnt any damage to it at all...

Old 09-02-2006, 07:59 PM

valves are not for oil they are used for air flow. air in on one side air out on the other.

I would say check the head as well. sice that is abusive

Old 09-02-2006, 08:07 PM

What would I check for on on the head?

I have a friend coming down and were gonna start by checking the compression in the cylinders.. Then go from there..

I tried starting it earlier today, and I could smell gas when i walked around the car.. Would that be from the injectors?

Old 09-02-2006, 09:25 PM
Banned

Well you may not notice the liquids leaking from the gasket. The only way to check the head will be to take it off and check if you have dents in your pistons and squashed valves.

Well think of it this way... when you shift at redline the next gear will engage at a lower rpm and if you shifted quickly the RPMs wouldnt have droped that much and it would literally take a 10th of a second to over rev. I think your head is shot

Old 09-02-2006, 10:26 PM

I wasnt redlined when i shifted.. I was about 5500 rpms but ya, im afraid you might be right.. We shall see when I dig into it further..

Old 09-03-2006, 02:23 PM

After digging into it this morning, the compression is good in all the cylinders.. It was getting fuel. But I had no spark.. So we took the coil pack off my spyder and put it on, and it fired right up.. I would have never guessed thats what it was when it first happened.. But im glad it wasnt the motor

Old 09-03-2006, 02:51 PM

well im glad you got it fixed because didnt you just get the car?

Old 09-04-2006, 08:46 PM

ya.. Would have sucked to be pullin the motor already eh?