2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

over heating

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 09:55 PM
Default over heating

Whats up guys. My car is overheating again!! Head gasket was changed awhile ago, Aluminum radiator was recently installed, silicon hoses, Flex-a-lite dual 12 in fans with shroad, even water wetter, and it is still overheating. Well at idle... if I leave the fan on constantly, or if I'm driving (I have an evo hood so cool air is pulled through the intercooler and radiator, and the hot air is pushed through the center vent) it won't over heat, but it would be nice just to idle and have the needle sit right in the middle. Any advice would be great. Especially advice that involves me not having to spend any money. Thanks guys I appreciate it.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:23 PM
Default RE: over heating

when did it start? you have a front mount in the way of the radiator? build some ducting between the 2 is you do and make sure your thermostat is opening fully

Old 05-08-2007, 11:37 PM

Fmic could be blocking the radiator. Check your thermostat. Maybe flush out your coolant system and make sure you dont have any junk clogging something up.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

is it really overheating or is the guage just saying you are. I would guess just a thermostat

Old 05-09-2007, 10:31 AM

Large FMICs will do that. It's just a downfall to them. Get a 180' thermostat and see if that helps a bit. It's helps that you have an aftermarket radiator, but what are the CFMs of the fans? Are the fans push or pull mode? Is there space between the FMIC and radiator? Do you have a complete coolant system seal? Change out that $10 sensor (the one with the single wire going to it). What kind of turbo are you using and it's psi?

Old 05-09-2007, 05:08 PM

NVM, I just looked at your profile over at Prostreet. 50 trim @18psi. What do you show at idle on your wideband? You could be running a bit lean at idle too.

You've got quite a list of power mods.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:22 PM

Thanks everyone for your responses. I have a 180 failsafe thermostat, so even if its bad it will stick open. The fans are pulling 2500 CFM, but I just don't understand why I overheat at idle.. It may be stupid, but is that normal? Let me think what else... I did replace the coolant temperature sensor about a month ago... the water pump was changed when I did the head gasket about 6 months ago.. Everything is seal and there aren't any leaks... I know once you start adding power mods, the temperature rises, but man its just a pain in the *** right now. Let me know what else you guys think. I appreciate all of your help and have a good night/day.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:22 PM

If its just doing it while your idleing, its b/c your not getting any air to your radiator.. You might need to fab something to create more air to it..

Old 05-15-2007, 08:29 AM

make sure ur connections to your fans are ok... if they are rusted or corroded they may not be getting energy to the fans until it's already tooo hot.... it looks like EVERYTHING else has been changed so that's all i have to offer.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:55 PM
Banned

Does this still happen when you have your A/C on? Maybe your thermostat is out.

What i would question is if its actually over heating and not givinga false reading. Usually you can tell pretty easily... i remember one time i tried to open the hood on the GST after overheating and burnt my hand on the hood release latch..... defenatly overheated lol

Quick Reply: over heating