60.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

POLL!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: POLL!!!

ORIGINAL: Sanguinius

All right first off if the engine has been rebuilt then that should be good to go for a while. Turbo: Trilogy Turbos out of Florida is where I'll be sending my 12A off for a big 16G build when it finally goes and they'll do that for around $450. ($470 + $25 shipping without core and $435 + free shipping with a good core). So check into Trilogy Turbos maybe get a decent price on a rebuild on yours from them.

Exhaust manifold shouldn't be more than $75 from a local junkyard. Gaskets to do the turbo yourself should be less than $30. Headlights $25 at the junkyard (At least where I am), bumper covers are $35 a piece at the local Pick'N'Pull here. That leaves the transmission. A friend JUST got her AUTOMATIC transmission rebuilt from the ground up for $1800. So it would seem fairly feasable to get EVERYTHING you want done AND have enough left over for a quick paint job AND gas money to get around to get the parts.
470+25+75+30+25+35+1800+(say 2000k for paint job as a very low price). Now he is already up to $4460 just for this. And you happen to leave out a bunch of stuff. I dont remember exactly what he had done to the car already but as any other time your panning on putting in an upgraded turbo your gonna need to upgrade your fuel, your gonna need magangement for it, and the proper guages. Id say hes looking at well over the 5k on a downpayment. Than look down the road when this is all done. Youll have a car that will still be worth less than what he bought it for and he just dumped alot into it. And its still not gonna be all that reliable becuse remember this car is 10 years old. Sure he'll have a maybe a low 12 sec car. but its all where he wants to put his money i guess. If it were me i dont think id spend it on that. But thats just my opinion. Everyone is different

Old 11-16-2006, 11:47 AM

i don't want to get into a pissing contest with yall lol i'm just sayin that this guy does good quality custom work. mabey he's just cutting me a hell of a deal because my dad knows the guy... i duno but he's widley known around the Charleston area for his work.

Old 11-16-2006, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: RCJr9186

i don't want to get into a pissing contest with yall lol i'm just sayin that this guy does good quality custom work. mabey he's just cutting me a hell of a deal because my dad knows the guy... i duno but he's widley known around the Charleston area for his work.
well if its a good paint job then yea your definetly getting a hell of a deal there.

Old 11-16-2006, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

First off I wasn't adding the paint in there simply for the fact that it's not NECESSARY to drive the vehicle. He can replace the trans or have it rebuilt and with the rebuilt engine how could it be unreliable? Check all the little stuff replace as necessary I.E. tie rod ends, shocks, struts, bushings, and trans axles. Now he has a car JUST as reliable as a new car. But that's my own little opinion. I'm just saying he'll have a car that will last a decent amount of time for MUCH less than a new car will cost.

Chew on this for a bit: He drops $5K on a down payment for a new car. Now say he's getting a $400 a month payment for the next few years. Then the higher insurance requirements and property taxes (if applicable). How much is being spent a month and in the end total? Not only that BUT as soon as it leaves the car lot under his ownership it looses up to 1/2 it's resale value and you've lost $ right there.

Now take that same $5K and rebuild teh trans, do the body kit conversion, buy the turbo and upgrades necessary OR get the car painted, replace other components (Belts, CVs, tie rod ends, ball joints, bushings) all for under that $5K previously mentioned.

Now he has his old car which he's used to for the cost of the down payment of the new car AND he's maintaining the lower insurance rates AND has no monthly payment. Granted there is no factory warranty BUT a good shop will give a warranty with the work they've done.

Old 11-16-2006, 08:44 PM

hey thanks for all the advice guys but ill prolly stick with my gst and fix it up Sanguinius has a good point about the monthly payment and once i leave the parking lot it will drop value right there

Old 11-17-2006, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

It wont be a $400 a month payment, and he said it wasnt gonna be a new car so it doesnt loose all the value right off the lot, when you buy used it still maintains the market value of it. Anyway it doesnt even matter, you can do with what you want, personally i would never want to have to deal with a 2g turbo again.

Old 11-17-2006, 11:46 AM

Book value on my EVO still sits above $24k I am asking $21k that payment would be around $350\mo I guess with a good rate.

I wouldnt want a 2G Turbo either. actually I am just trying to get away from mitsu all together these days

Old 11-18-2006, 06:27 AM

Emonz, I cry. You no like Mitsu NEmore?

Old 11-18-2006, 10:52 AM

ORIGINAL: Simss

Emonz, I cry. You no like Mitsu NEmore?
I like My EVO. I dont like the worries that are always lingering around with mitsu motors(not that the EVOs have those worries)

I have owned 3 mitsus now

a 2000 GS (which was the worst car I ever owned, it threw a rod threw the oilpan, new motor timing belt lets go,rebuild the hea and the intake manifold cracks I replaced that and it cracks again and fix that and what do you know it cracks on more time I mean the second day I owned this car the clutch went out on me and I know how to drive so it was nothing I did it only had 48k on it and the time and it broke down every 2 weeks)
a 2002 GT spyder which I owned for only 6 months before I traded for the EVO
now the EVO which I have had almost 2 years now.

I am ready for toyota reliablity lol... you cant beat a car that had forged internals from the factory and can lay down 900+ hp with only the need to build the head and that is it. Oh and they are non interference motors so no worrying about timing belt slips and valves hitting (my gs did that 2)

Old 11-18-2006, 06:57 PM

There are pros and cons to every make and model, no matter what. It just depends on how the issues of each and every motor are handled or are taken.
I can understand what you saying about Toyata E. but are you saying that the MKIV Supra has a 900hp capable stock motor? Your EVO has forged stock internals too, so does the Eclipse GS-T and GSX though. I know the Supra has issues too...every motor will have issues not to mention reliability starts to drop. That doesn't just stop at the motor either. Also note that just because it is capable of 900hp doesn't mean that it's faster than a 700hp, lighter, car. 900 is just a number on the dyno and that makes it a dyno queen. It is a highway monster...are you a street racer?
Besides that, there aren't many cars on the streets today that I like. Just about every one of the new cars are too "boxy". Only the older cars have the curves that sporty cars should have, 2G Eclipse, Supra, 7th gen Celica, my car (lol), are just some examples. Makers have gone the way of the "sleek" lines. The 4G Eclipse is about the only new car that appeals to me.
Sorry to go off topic, I just feel like you're not giving Mitsu or your EVO a chance Emonz and I'm projecting, lol.

Quick Reply: POLL!!!