2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 12:48 PM
Default problem

[align=left]i have a 97 gst completely stock down to the last spec. so heres the problem whenever you start the car up or come to a stop it idles at like 100 rpm and slowly climbs to an idle of about 500 which is just really annoying and whenever you "get on it" it has a nasty fuel cut but itll only do it at about 3/4 throttle or higher and i was thinking maybe these two things could be tied in together and idk if it helps but i got the stock turbo and the whistle is much louder than it should be but i checked and it hasnt the slightest bit of shaft play
[/align][align=left] [/align]

Old 07-01-2008, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: problem

Your first problem sounds like an iac, so ohm the coils and see if its any good, the second problemI would check for any boost leaks.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:42 PM
Banned

This is NOT an IAC problem. If it was an IAC then it wouldn't dip below 1000 (ish).

This is an air leak of some kind. Either boost leak or VAC, one of the two.

You can easily rule that out with a simple boost leak test.

You can refer to google for instructions on how to do that, beings that our search button sucks royally.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Sebba

This is NOT an IAC problem. If it was an IAC then it wouldn't dip below 1000 (ish).

This is an air leak of some kind. Either boost leak or VAC, one of the two.

You can easily rule that out with a simple boost leak test.

You can refer to google for instructions on how to do that, beings that our search button sucks royally.
I have seen bad iacs idle low and then surge up and back down again to the point where it almost stalls.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:29 PM

Mine has done that too and it has been A) boost leak, B) too much fuel, C) cold motor, D) not enough fuel (lol), E) coolant temp sensor, F) MAF, G) TPS, H) TB, there can be more, but those are what have caused my low idle issues ... with the IAC/FIAV removed from the equation.
The IAC/FIAV usually causes surging when it starts or IS bad. The key is the surging. If RPMs drop and corrects itself, then the sensors can be a cause of the issue. This can be because of the above mentioned issues or a combination of the above +.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:58 PM

ok i did a boost leak check and didnt find any leaks and as far as fuel goes i havent done anything to it so it should be good too, also the idle problem fixed itself lol after the boost leak check it hasnt had that problem since i guess the maf was loose or something whenever i did the check i unplugged it so i could take off the intake and plugged it back in and thats about all i did :/ but as far as the fuel cut goes im still stumped what would you all recommend i do

edit: oh and the fuel cut only happens at the lower rpsm also around 2-4k after that its fine

Old 07-14-2008, 07:03 PM

Yea maybe it wasnt plugged in all the way. It happens.