2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Problem? Air? Oil? Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006 | 10:48 AM
Default RE: Problem? Air? Oil? Exhaust?

My catch can cost more than those fuel filters btw agallardo. Just to let you know. If you are trying to save here and there...that would be one to save on, I got mine because I wanted something different and had money to spend. Mine is also like a "T", the bottom of the T is where the filter is and the top part is obviously the in/out nipples. A FRAM fuel filter is simple --D-- is what it looks like. It's up to you though. I got mine in the section where the air tools and air compressors are.

Old 11-15-2006 | 10:58 AM

Alright now i am a little confused. You have an air tank filter.... (I dont even know what to say)........ uh.... alrighty, so that would obviously work. So whats the difference between that air tank filter and a oil catch can. They basically do the same thing, right? And also, what do you think about a breather instead? I obviously have to put something there that would keep that oil out? I would much rather spend the money and not just put something thats not gonna help me out too much....

Old 11-15-2006 | 11:10 AM

Well, a breather filter will just allow that oil to spew all over the engine bay, there's no way to stop that unless you cover the filter...then, there's no point in that and since you may be having some big blow by issues, you don't want a breather filter. If oil is coming from the valve cover and going down the intake tract and gumming it up can you imagine how the engine bay will look after a little drive to work and back again?
Yes, it's an air compressor filter, does the same thing as a fuel filter. It's easier on the eyes is all.
I still suggest getting a fuel filter just like this one from autozone for now. I'd like for you to see how bad the blow by might be. No need to be fancy at this stage of the troubleshooting process.

Old 11-15-2006 | 11:20 AM

Alrighty, let me get this straight. In other words you are saying that I should buy that now just to see if its bad? So I wouldnt keep it in my car 'forever,' I would just keep it for the time being just to find out how bad the oil problem is. And once I figure out how bad it is, I can resolve the problem with something else? Is this what you are saying?

Old 11-15-2006 | 11:24 AM

Correct

Old 11-15-2006 | 11:47 AM

Ok... well what do you have? You are using that air tank filter, right? How long have you had it in there? In other words, this doesnt really 'filter' the oil (or should i say fix my problem)???

Old 11-15-2006 | 02:31 PM

By the way, that FRAM fuel filter you posted, is that universal? Or do I have search for one made for my car?

Old 11-15-2006 | 06:55 PM

Old 11-15-2006 | 07:17 PM

None of these filters will fix your problem if you have bad blow by. You need to assess, how bad the oil flow is from the breather valve to the IC piping is first in YOUR car. Why are you fixating on MY filter? That fuel filter is not being used as a fuel filter...do you get that? It is being used as an air filter of sorts...do you get that? That means that the FRAM fuel filter is not made for our mitsubishi cars, it's not universal, it's probably made for a certain car....we are using it for another purpose. Just as long as ANY filter that you get doesn't have huge in/out nipples so that they can fit on YOUR breather valve hose...use it.
Stop going on tangents and focusing on stuff that is just taking more time.

BUY FRAM FUEL FILTER, USE COMMON SENSE WHEN DOING THIS. PUT IT ON BREATHER VALVE TUBE. DRIVE IT, TELL US HOW MUCH OIL IS IN THE FILTER.
Simple as that....now either go and do it, or keep the oil in your IC piping. No more questions....go do it. If you need more help, there's a couple links for you to go by. They have pictures which = a thousand words.

Old 11-15-2006 | 07:35 PM

So instead of me using up my money on that fuel filter... why cant I just use a coke bottle and connect it to the valve cover instead? then drive it around and find out how bad that oil problem is.... Its doing the same thing, right?

Quick Reply: Problem? Air? Oil? Exhaust?