2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Problem? Air? Oil? Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006 | 09:05 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Problem? Air? Oil? Exhaust?

As long as you have a way to stop the oil from going in one side of the coke bottle and out the other and right into the system again. That's what the filter element in there will do.

Also I have been skimming through this post and missed the part where he said the turbo is new BUT the longer spool time and oil in the IC screams turbo seals to me. Check the shaft play back and forth (Push into and pull out of the turbo) as well as up and down. Just because it spins freely doesn't mean it's in good shape. The turbo may have been oil starved at some point due to a clogged line or something or if someone did an oil system cleaner or if you did one you may have stripped the turbo bearings of their protective layer and caused it to self destruct itself in that fashion.

I'm just trying to toss a few other ideas out there. The first thing from the initial post that I thought was replace the PCV valve but with the problems you describe witht he turbo... Again I may be looking in the wrong place. You MAY have blowby causing hate and discontent for you.

Old 11-15-2006 | 09:36 PM

Thanks Sanguinius, I will look at that. I am planning on putting on my new downpipe and o2 housing this weekend. So I will do it then. I am also putting on that PCV valve to see what happens. Thanks.

Old 11-15-2006 | 09:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Sanguinius

As long as you have a way to stop the oil from going in one side of the coke bottle and out the other and right into the system again. That's what the filter element in there will do.

Also I have been skimming through this post and missed the part where he said the turbo is new BUT the longer spool time and oil in the IC screams turbo seals to me. Check the shaft play back and forth (Push into and pull out of the turbo) as well as up and down. Just because it spins freely doesn't mean it's in good shape. The turbo may have been oil starved at some point due to a clogged line or something or if someone did an oil system cleaner or if you did one you may have stripped the turbo bearings of their protective layer and caused it to self destruct itself in that fashion.

I'm just trying to toss a few other ideas out there. The first thing from the initial post that I thought was replace the PCV valve but with the problems you describe witht he turbo... Again I may be looking in the wrong place. You MAY have blowby causing hate and discontent for you.
..and that's why I'm trying to get this guy to troubleshoot by putting on the filter. If there's only a small amount of oil in the filter, then the next obvious is the turbo seals. Why he's waiting to put it on with the other stuff is unknown to me because it literally only takes 1 minute to do and he'll have instant results. But, I'm done, until he posts results.

Old 11-15-2006 | 11:14 PM
Super Moderator

I wasn't disagreeing. And I'm not sure why he's considering it wasting money on a filter either. It's less than $10 most likely less than $5 and will tell him whether he'll be spending $100's or just a few $ to fix his problem. I'd think I'd want to know ASAP personally.

Old 11-16-2006 | 01:56 AM

Alright guys, i agree also. But why cant i just use a coke bottle. It will save me a trip and even a couple bucks.

Old 11-16-2006 | 03:16 AM

stick the hose in a plastic coke bottle, a filter,an old cigarette pack,.. whatever you wanna use, just take the hose off and lay it there & see if it blows oil all over the outside of the motor...... just so the hose isnt going back into the intake, if your IC piping is still full of oil then its probly turbo seals

Old 11-16-2006 | 06:51 PM

Hey guys, got a quick question about those turbo seals. If it is my turbo seals, would that mean i need a new turbo, or can I get it rebuilt?

Just in case you guys are wondering why I havent done the filter thing yet, is because i left my car at my house and I rode with my roomate back to school. So i wont do it til the weekend...

Old 11-16-2006 | 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah you can take the hose off to see what happens and use a coke bottle but your engine will be running like crap if I'm not mistaken.

You can get the turbo rebuilt. The rebuild kits are around $100. I'm not sure how much a shop will charge though.

Old 11-17-2006 | 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

isnt this a new turbo? and shouldnt it have a warrenty on it? But i still doubt its the turbo

Old 11-17-2006 | 11:48 AM

Yes it is practically new. I had it in there for about a month and half or even 2 months. I will check it anyway. I believe it does have a warranty. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Problem? Air? Oil? Exhaust?