2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Pulley? Which one is it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 04:34 PM
Default Pulley? Which one is it?

Hey guys. Got another problem. I was dropping off my girlfriend at her car Saturday, it was about a 20 min drive. As soon as I got there I got out to say my goodbye, and I heard this weird noise coming from the engine. I popped the hood and could just hear a weird noise next to the timing belt. Didnt think of it much, but drove back to school and parked it and let it cool off for awhile to see if the noise would go away. Went back out there, and it was still there. I looked at the timing belt and it looked fine. Anyway, drove back home the next day (about 1 hour and half) I parked it again, it jacked up my car to see if i saw anything under there. Well, its a PULLEY. Its tilted and loose, i guess. Its also scrapping up against something. Not sure the name of it, but its the biggest one. Straight across from my tranny. Its located on the right hand side at the bottem of the engine. Its not the pulley connected to the alternator belt, but the pulley right next to it.

Well my questions are: What pulley is it? Is it easy to fix? Has this ever happened to anyone? Do you think I need to buy a new pulley?

Old 09-05-2006, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Pulley? Which one is it?

well it sounds to me like its not the pulley thats broken but the what is holding the pulley on that busted. I cant really figure out which one your talking about though, pics would help if there is any chance you can get them.

Old 09-05-2006, 05:00 PM

I just looked it up, and it seems like its the crankshaft pulley. Hope that helps. I thought the same thing. But i hope its not. Do you think its gonna be a pain to fix? How much do you think it would cost me to get that fixed.

I wish i can get you some pics, but I am at school and i left my car at home, because i didnt want to drive it to school like that.

Old 09-05-2006, 07:17 PM

i think its ur harmonic balancer....

Old 09-05-2006, 10:58 PM

well you pully is actuall 2 pieces of metal with a rubber type material holding it together. you can get an unorthidox under drive pully or you can get a fluiding dampner pully. all it is to take it off is by loosening the serpentine and ac belt so that you can get the old one off. take the 4 bolts that hold it on and slide it right out, it should take about half an hour taking your time.

https://www.jacksonautomachine.com/h...m?sectionId=29 its the last product on the page. or you can get one at
http://www.unorthodoxracing.com/

Old 09-05-2006, 11:05 PM

Whats that website? What goes in the "test.****s.com"? What is the "****?"

So you guys think its expensive to fix? Or easy? It seems easy from what you guys say it is. I hope so. So I have to buy a new pulley in other words?

Old 09-05-2006, 11:12 PM

its fixed.

its very easy to do, at least on a 1G. and it all sepends on which one you buy but like i said, it's all about how much money you want to spend. and yes you need a new one.

Old 09-05-2006, 11:15 PM

Which one is better? How much are they? Where can I find them?

Also, whats the website you listed above? It doesnt work?

Old 09-05-2006, 11:23 PM

well the one with all the ***** was at dsm tuners.

the fluidampner is 280.00
and the unorthidox one is 202.00

or you can go on ebay and get one for like 40 bucks or so.

Old 09-06-2006, 12:02 AM

Is the one on ebay good? Is it worth it? If not, which one is better? Or which one do you recommend?

Are you sure its the pulley though? Can it not be the "thing" that holds the pulley?

Quick Reply: Pulley? Which one is it?