2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Pully noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 04:43 PM
Default Pully noise

Well i am not 100 percent sure that my lower pully the one closest to the oil pump is making noise. A few days back i would hear a clicking sound from that area and it looks like the pully look a little wobly. but if i grab it and try to move it it has no play. Any suggestion about the clicking noise from the lower driver side wheel well area.

Old 04-21-2007, 05:25 PM
Default RE: Pully noise

Thats where crankwalk makes its famous noise[]

Old 04-21-2007, 07:11 PM

I know of two in that immediate area, the crankshaft pulley and tensioner pulley.

I would seriously have it checked out. On a good note, your crankshaft pulley (if that's the pulley that you're referring to) can just have a bad bearing and may just need to be replaced...along with the timing belt since you've got to remove it anyway. Perhaps the bolt are loose...dunno.
One more thing...there's a lot of tension on these pulleys just from the belt alone, just because you can't move it by hand, doesn't mean that it's not the bearing.
Check all your belts and tension. Take a closer listen. A guess is going to give you a guess and not an answer.

Old 04-21-2007, 07:56 PM

it could be ur hormonic balancer

Old 04-21-2007, 10:08 PM

The harmonic balancer is also on the crank pulley
Crankshaft accessory pulley/harmonic balancer: The rubber portion of the pulley can become old and brittle, and can eventually separate, causing the pulley to fall apart.
http://members.shaw.ca/costall/1000Q/answers-major.htm

Old 04-21-2007, 10:13 PM

That REALLY sounds like crankwalk to me

Old 04-22-2007, 01:54 AM

well. ill hope its not crank walk. since i have a 6 bolt that has no more than 13k miles put on. I will check up on that for sure. I found out what was making that humming noise whie driving. My right front wheel bearing is done also. the wheel has a nice wobble when its jacked up and u shake it. That area doesn't have the lower plastic shield. Its totaly exposed. The previous owner took off the shield so maybe that pully is collecting lots of dibris , water and dirt from the tire.

Old 04-22-2007, 08:36 PM

Okay well i just need a lil advice on what i might need to replace and a guess on how long it shoudl take to do this. I will get a shop to do the work but i will provide the part. This is so they dont scam me on hours. I notice that the crank pully wobble the most at idle, as engine rpm go up the wobbling gets less. at about 1.5k-2k the wobbling is gone and noise is also gone.

Old 04-23-2007, 01:16 AM

Driver's side wheel hub, crank/harmonic pulley, shouldn't be more than a few hours worth of shop time. They may charge more depending on how honest they are. It shouldn't be to bad since the hub is on the same side as the pulley (assuming that you mean the driver's hub ["front right wheel bearing"]).

Get a lower shield at the junkyard from any trim Eclipse/Talon, even Avenger/Sebring.

Old 04-24-2007, 12:06 AM

I hope somebody can reassure this for me.. I was more curious on the kind of wobble the crank pully was doing and i notice the crank pully isnt wobbling.. its moving in and out back and forth. If it wobble itwould rub on the belt wouldn't it. Plz say this ain't crank walk on a 6 bolt.

Quick Reply: Pully noise