2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Recomendations to upgrade 2003 spyder

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 07:57 PM
Default Recomendations to upgrade 2003 spyder

I'm here on behalf of my girlfriend. She has a manual 2003 spyder, totally stock. What does anyone recomend for performance upgrades (exhaust, cat-backs, clutch, air intake, ported intakes, injectors, suspension, brake system, etc)? Any info will be helpfull.

Old 10-06-2004, 08:07 PM
Default RE: Recomendations to upgrade 2003 spyder

well it depends, u worried about money, or not? cause there is a **** ton of things you can do to these cars, just depends on what your lookin to spend and what kinda gains your lookin for.......... for starters intake, cat-back, headers, high flow cat or test pipe, new plug wires, pully set, timing gears, etc.... that should get you started..........

Old 10-06-2004, 09:26 PM

I'm looking for more hp/torq, better handling, and money isn't really an issue right now. Just trying to see what's out there and compare. I have no idea on the specs of the spyder, so can you say "clueless"? All together now... Anyways, I'm building a performance engine for my 95 nissan 300zx from the ground up, and I can find everything for the z, it's just that I'm not familiar with the eclipse. And no offense, but I can't see investing in the eclipse, but she sees all the stuff I'm doing for my car, and wants the same attention to hers. Just whatever you suggest... Oh, btw, I want to stay n/a (naturally aspirated). Thanks for your time.

Old 10-06-2004, 10:05 PM

well, there arent a whole lot of bolt ons for the 4g64 engine, however the stock engine can hold a decent amount of hp without internal mods..... i believe around 250hp....... the list above is what i would start with, then if thats not enough you can get a new suspension, port and polish the TB and intake mani, get timing gears, pullys, upgrade the fuel system, you know, most of the usual mods without getting into internals, and of course the engine management system to get the correct fuel curves, and puttin all of that on there should make her pretty happy, you would see a significant gain over stock....... there is also a link on the site for powdercoating, which will lower engine compartment temps, in turn lowering the air temp in the intake mani....... the vfaq's and faq's are a very good place to find all of this info............ also you can do a head swap to DOHC, there are many things you can find, just depends on what she wants (go figure, women and what they want) hehe................

Old 10-06-2004, 10:13 PM

and just a note....... the eclipse is a very good investment, the damn things will run forever, i know one guy who has a 91, its still stock, he keeps up on fluid changes and all the other technical stuff you need to do and the car is what, like 13 years old, i dont think hes ever had a real problem with it, however they can be very tempramental...........

Old 10-06-2004, 11:42 PM

Thanks for the input 1398spdr, it gave me a few ideas. And yes the car can be a great one IF the owner will take care of it. I have to constantly get on my girl about the oil changes and such. She either doesn't care or doesn't fully understand. BTW, what's a DSM?

Later.

Old 10-07-2004, 03:02 PM

DSM was the brainchild company formed by Mitsubishi motors and Daimler Chrysler in 1987. they produced cars under the name Diamond Star Motors in Bloominton/Normal until 1995 when mitsubishi changed the name to Mitsubishi Motors North America to reflect their buyout of chrysler's portion in 1991.

Although most of us don't own true DSM's we still claim the name.

Old 10-07-2004, 03:54 PM

still produced in Normal, close enough for me, DSM all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-07-2004, 03:56 PM

I agree... it is a neat place to visit. I drive by it every other week.

Old 10-07-2004, 03:58 PM

do they give tours? i live just outside St. Louis, id love to see where and how my car was made............ plus it gives me an excuse to get out on the open country road and do stupid ****..........

Quick Reply: Recomendations to upgrade 2003 spyder