2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Rockers Tappin?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Rockers Tappin?

Again it's something that can be put IN with basic knowledge. I know you need to tune and time them right and that's a whole different story there.

Old 03-20-2006, 04:53 AM

Wow, Thanks guys for the topic discussion. I will check with some of the basics before tearing into the head. Tapping seems to happen only with the weather being colder. What does a head job on these cars cost...?[sm=yikesomg.gif]

Old 03-20-2006, 09:29 AM

ORIGINAL: WIECLIPSEGUY

Wow, Thanks guys for the topic discussion. I will check with some of the basics before tearing into the head. Tapping seems to happen only with the weather being colder. What does a head job on these cars cost...?[sm=yikesomg.gif]
full rebuild at the dealer like $2k if you can pull the head and bring it to a machine shop like $550. I paid $550 for my GS head rebuilt with a 3 angle valve job

Old 03-20-2006, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

Once again i would like to repeat my original statement. The tapping is nothing to worry about. Your car is not breaking. At least not from that

Old 03-20-2006, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

And if you want to put your mind at ease, spend the $10 to get a valve cover gasket and pull the valve cover. Take a look at the rockers and see if any are cracked or bent. I've only seen that happen once and the dude jumped time in an S-10 unfortunately for him he only jumped time enough to make it run like crap for the few seconds before the pistons either A.) Bent the valves sideways or B.) Shoved the valves up into the rockers bending AND cracking the majority of them. (Kinda interesting head job lemme tell you...). Once you've finished inspecting replace your valve cover gasket and the PCV valve (Cuz you KNOW you haven't in forever and it's a 30K miles replacement SHEESH)

Old 03-20-2006, 02:57 PM

Thanks Sang, I will have to do this. I to don't think it is anything that is serious. Like I said. It is only when it is colder outside. When weather breaks, I think it would be a good idea to yank the valve cover and take a little look see...[sm=hiya.gif]

Old 03-20-2006, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah just remember to replace the VC gasket. When you do this get a bunch of carb cleaner and a wire toothvbrush. Scrub the track where the gasket sits on the valve cover (It will likely be dark dark brown or black with old oil). Make it silver again also take a putty knife or razor blade and scrape/wipe the top of the head RALLY good again you'll see the brown deposits there BUT don't I repeat, DO NOT spray the carb cleaner on there. Unless you have an oil change planned as well then I would say go ahead and spray it (It WILL break down your oil at the same time) and when the valve cover is back on do an engine flush (Run it with the minute oil system flush). Just my recommendations there. But I agree the tapping is nothing to worry about. It's getting old and it'll do that. If it gets worse though then think about getting a full head job (While you're at it a 3 angle valve job, and port and polish, and.... LOL). AND REPLACE THE PCV VALVE DEMMIT!!! (The #1 reason that valve cover and main oil seals blow is because of an old/clogged PCV valve). (Betcha didn't know THAT one eh?)

Old 03-20-2006, 09:56 PM

Thanks. I did pick up a PCV valve. I paid $7. It isn't like any other that I have ever seen. This one is all brass. Plastic in just about any other car I have owned... Thanks for the pointers. I am glad there is so many people in here willing to help, it makes it great for people like me to figure things out w/o spending tons of cash that you know we all don't have...LOL

Old 03-20-2006, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

That's what it's all about. Find the answer and fix it yourself vice dumping tons of $ into a shop and having them tell you the engine is about to blow... (I'd bet if you took it in for a diagnosis they'd tell you that a head job was imminent when it's nothing even remotely close). Dealers are even worse.

Old 03-20-2006, 10:35 PM

Right on!!!