2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

ROUGH IDLE/SLIGHT MISS

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 08:08 AM
Default ROUGH IDLE/SLIGHT MISS

JUST RECENTLY BOUGHT A 97 ECLIPSE WITH A 2.0 AUTO IT HAS A SLIGHT MISS/ ROUGH IDLE WHEN SITING AT ALIGHT OR IN GEAR WHEN ITS NOT IN GEAR YOU CAN FEEL IT SLIGHTLY WHEN I BOUGHT THE CAR THE GUY TOLD ME IT HAS A NEW TIMING BELT HEAD WAS REDONE SURFACE VALVE JOB ECT... AND WATER PUMP...CAR RUNS GRETA AS SOON AS YOU GET ON THE GAS OR IF YOU TURN THE IDLE SCREW UP ABOVE 1000 RPM IT GOES AWAY.....IT ALSO HAS A PRETTY BAD OIL LEAK LOOKS LIKE ITS COMMING FROM THE HEAD I HOPE ITA SENSORS LEAKING OR SOMETHING ELSE THO IF YOU GUYS HAVE ANY INFO PLEASE LET ME KNOW I NEED SOEM PEOPLE THAT HAVE SOME INFO ON ECLIPSES THANKS ALOT

Old 10-13-2008, 08:22 AM
Default RE: ROUGH IDLE/SLIGHT MISS

Sounds a bit like a bent valve to me or bent/broken rod... not 100% on that but lets see what other have to say about this also.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:39 PM

UPDATE: CHECKED COMPRESSION AND ITS GOOD ALSO CHECKED FUEL PRESSURE AND THATS GOOD...YOU CAN STILL FEEL THE ROUGHNESS ABOVE IDLE BUT VERY SLIGHT IT IS THE WORST AT IDLE AND IN GEAR....I TALKED TO A COUPLE PEOPLE AND THEY SAID THE TIMING BELT COULD POSSIBLY BE ON WRONG OFF A TOOTH AT THE CRANK?...I KNOW YOU HAVE TO GO HALF NOTCH BEFORE TDC BUT WOULD THAT MAKE IT IDLE LIKE IT IS? THERE IS NO CODES PRESENT IN THE ECM EITHER...ANYONE?

Old 10-14-2008, 04:54 PM

Easy with the "off time" scenarios before you get more info on your own car. The motor is vibrating, obviously. Could the motor mounts need to be replaced? Can you see the motor vibrate as bad as it feels? The 420a does not have balance shafts, thus the motor has natural tendencies to vibrate. The motor mounts do a good job of soaking up the vibration and motor was balanced before leaving the factory. The motor was rebuilt...I would ask the original owner on who did the work, take it to them and ask the original owner what the last thing they did and why they had the motor rebuilt. Did you check the timing?
What does "oil leak looks like it's coming from the head" mean? If you know anything about motors, you'd understand that, that statement can mean a lot of scenarios and issues. Please be more specific.

And please stop typing in all caps. You do know that means you're yelling, virtually, right?

Oh and welcome to the site.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:09 AM

thanks dbag you were no help please dont post in any of my threads your a DICK im a mechanic

Old 10-15-2008, 07:34 AM

ORIGINAL: SLAMMEDRAM02

thanks dbag you were no help please dont post in any of my threads your a DICK im a mechanic
I am? On what part? The part that I suggested that you stop typing in all caps or the part where I said "if you know anything about motors"? If that offended you, then I'm sorry, but there's no need to get offended nor call me a douche bag since you didn't give info on what you thought it may be, but what the "car guy" said. A mechanic wouldn't give vague info on a head leak either.
If you're a mechanic, why are you in here trying to get info from us? A little insight on the 420a? Aren't you certified and shouldn't you know this? And what kind of sensors leak? I'm curious as most sensors are hermetically sealed nowadays and aren't liquid filled.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:23 AM

ORIGINAL: SLAMMEDRAM02

thanks dbag you were no help please dont post in any of my threads your amechanic and all around goodguy andim a dick
fixed

Old 10-15-2008, 09:43 AM

i am not a certified mitsu mechanic i have not had much experience with them at all thats why im here to see if anyone here has had the same problem not to get insulted by someone and yes all sensors can leak ive had oil pressure sensors, cam and crank sensors leak so yes they can leak....i have built plenty of v8 motors not so much on the electrical side i know most cars but never had experience with mitsu as i said thats why im here....and the head was done not the whole engine the timing belt was broke thats the reason the head was off and done and the water pump was also done then....the leak looks to be comming from the top near the valve cover on the back side of the engine cause it dripps off the oil filter....as for the slight miss i had 2 codes when i pulled it up on the scanner they were evap small leak and egr flow insufficent...i cleared both codes and it runs the same and codes didnt come back...it idles rough when sitting at lights and if its at normal idle rpm around 800....if its above it gets much better but is still slightly there...just because your a mechanic doesnt mean you know everything about every car

Old 10-15-2008, 11:19 AM

I assure you anyone with 3000+ posts, 5 stars andis called moderator is not tring to insult you. Call him names and he may not or anyone else for that matter want to help you.

That being said, is this car a 2.0turbo car or is it a non turbo 420a engine notorious for head gasket oil leaks?

Old 10-15-2008, 11:34 AM

ok im over it i just was here for a little help on this car it is a 2.0 non turbo auto....if anyone can help fine if not i will figure it out on my own and i am on a couple camaro sites and some of the moderators and heavy posters are dicks to people not saying he was trying to be but i took it that way im over it hope he is

Quick Reply: ROUGH IDLE/SLIGHT MISS