2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

RPM HELP QUICK!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 09:27 PM
Default RPM HELP QUICK!!!

O.k. here we go, my old lady has a 97 mits eclipse GST, no modifications, just replacing old part, engine is 161,000 miles.

Upon ignition, the RPM automatically jumps up to 2000, after about 5 seconds it'll start surging around the 1000-2000 range, like i'm hitting the gas pedal continguously (but I'm not),when the AC is on, it'llsurge rise surgingbetween2000-2500RPM range. Somebody help me, I took it into the shop, and they concludedit was a vaccuum leak under the throttle body, BUT, because they are supposably too busy, theycant find the leak and dont have the time to repairit for another 2 weeks.

I have the car now, and was wondering if there is anything i can do to fix the problem yall??? I dont want to play around with the BISS, and the shop said it wasnt the EGR. I'm hoping its not the ISC, for the sake of the costly repairs.

Since the shop mentioned it was a vacuum leak under throttle body, can someone give me a ball park figure on how much it'll cost to repair? - rough estimates would be great, i just wanna get an idea. Please reply, thanks.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:25 PM
Default RE: RPM HELP QUICK!!!

im not exactly sure how much it would be to repair... but why dont you just take it to another shop?

Old 03-21-2008, 11:18 PM

Thats the plan, but just want to know if it's a do it yourself fix thats all.

Anyway, the shop mentioned that they found a vacuum hose unconnected, they did'nt show me where but, they said they connected it back, but it's did'nt fix the spuddering. Anyone else got any suggestions???

Old 03-22-2008, 01:34 AM

well if you don't know what ur doing a vaccuum line can be a real pain to do yourself... but start your car and take a look under ur hood, you should hear a slight hissing, and look at all ur vacuum lines from around the area where the shop said it was and if theres any disconnected find out where it goes and pop it back on... but if you dont knowwhat ur doing then have a shop do it for you

Old 03-22-2008, 08:21 AM

http://www.dsm.org/how-tos/tttt/tttt3.html

Try reading that through.. Might help ya.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:29 PM

Thanks alot for the link Advocate, next questioni got,how many vacuum lines does a 97 mits eclipse have, and can someonetell me the general area where i can find them all?I know there's a few right under/around the power steering fluid resivour??? Altleast thats what i've read in other posts.Pictures would be great. Thanks

Old 03-22-2008, 06:04 PM

Theres a bunch.. Cant give ya an exact number.. But most of them are around the intake manifold.. Just look around up there for anything that would be disconnected. Have you checked the car for a boost leak yourself? Usually its just a matter of replacing a hose.. If its a big enough boost leak your car will run like crap, so it would be worth testing it yourself.

Heres a nice link for ya to look over.. Tells ya what everything is.
http://members.shaw.ca/dsm.1000q/Eng...sual-index.htm

Old 03-22-2008, 06:41 PM

I havnt checked for a boost leak, but that'll be my next step.
That link gave me a page not found error. Im trying to find it in the master FAQ section, but having trouble finding everything, and i really have no clue where to start on testing the boost leak.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:50 PM

Ill take a picture of my leak tester.. Im gonna be making an extra one, but ill sell ya one for like $10 plus shipping if you dont feel like making one..

Old 03-22-2008, 08:50 PM

Oh, btw. This link should work for ya.. It will take ya to the same place.

http://members.shaw.ca/dsm.1000q/Engineprimer/

Quick Reply: RPM HELP QUICK!!!