2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Running Hot

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009 | 09:20 AM
|
Default Running Hot

i have a 96 mitsubishi eclipse rs with megan raceing headers and underneath my hood gets pretty toasty really fast, other than buying a new hood or some drastic body change is there something i can do to let this extra heat escape?

Old 05-28-2009 | 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

are you getting any other problems like the engine coolant overheating or is it just the engine bay. Becuase just the bay is nothing to worry about

Old 05-28-2009 | 04:05 PM

First of all I hate responding after these mods who know a ton more about things.

I have heard of others using a "header wrap" material on custom headers that reduces heat and noise.

Old 05-28-2009 | 07:01 PM
|

The car runs for hot according to the gauge and it seems to mess with my air intake sensor (code PO113 air intake temperature to high) I've replaced the sensor, but the code is still there no matter how many times i erase it, So im guessing my headers are making it to hot underneath the hood?

Old 05-28-2009 | 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

if its running hot on the gauge then that isnt a engine bay temp. That is a coolant temp. Thats telling you your car is in danger of overheating. So your engine running too hot is causing the engine bay to get hot.

Are your fans running? Could be a bad fan motor or relay or something. Try and put on the AC and see if that lowers the engine temps

Old 05-29-2009 | 09:15 AM
|

Thanks for the advice i'll try the AC thing, the fans are working great but one of my friends suggested a bigger more powerful fan for my car? I'll keep you all posted thanks for the advice so far.

Old 05-29-2009 | 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

no you dont need anything special on the fans. If they are working then something else is causing it. Dont mask the issue

Old 05-29-2009 | 02:53 PM
|

I was thinking maybe a bigger fan? to deal with the new heat that the headers are putting in the engine bay (AC idea didn't help) Either way i still have my check engine light on and the code is still PO113 air intake temperature to high. Again I've replaced the sensor, but i cant think of anything else to do?(didn't have this problem till i got the Megan racing headers and vibrant performance exhaust system) Maybe I need a new radiator? or would there be a code for that as well, im still not sure what to do.

Old 05-29-2009 | 03:02 PM

TheEnigneer prolly has a better take on this being much more familiar with custom addons , but have you considered adding an oil cooler to lower engine temps instead of concentrating on the coolant side ? I don't know if that would then lower your air intake temp.

Old 05-29-2009 | 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

well the thing is he said that his temperature guage was running high...which that gauge represents the coolant temperature.

Quick Reply: Running Hot