2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

running race gas

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 01:38 AM
Default running race gas

what would running racing fuel do if i were to mix it 50/50 or something like that maybe 30/70 .....race gas/ 91 octane... would i cook something in the engine? would it run better? worse.. what would be the affects? these are how it goes for mods to the engine/ turbo/exhaust..

1998 gst
injen intake with k&n filter
exhaust manifold
16g turbo.. ported and clipped set at 15psi
ported dump pipe
downpipe
3 inch catback exhaust

and i think the pump and injectors are stock... even though the guy that had the car before me had it modified also. possibly more then i do. so i really dont know. how do i check if they are bigger injectors or fuel pump anyways??

jst curious about this guys thanks! i have been contemplating trying it out but wanted opinions before doing it.thanks guys!

Old 01-23-2007, 03:03 AM
Default RE: running race gas

I mix it 50/50 in mine to keep detonation down, if you have a cat it will clog it up fairly quick from the lead deposits and it coats the o2 sensor eventually & they have to be changed more often. But yea it will run better. dont get carried away with it though. 50/50 at the most , anything like turbo blue or cam 2 burn pretty hot and tend to cause a little more heat.

Old 01-23-2007, 03:07 AM
Banned

It will give you a crap load more power.. and like he said it will cook your o2 sensors quickly. I dont think you will fry anything and the engine will run much better.

Why not run 100%?

Old 01-23-2007, 03:56 AM

cuz race gas round her is 5bucks a gallon... and i dont think i could afford that.... i wish!! lol... but i think i will add like 3 or 4 gallons per fillup just to have the extra kick.. until i get a little better income. if my o2 sensors go bad... will it affect my performance that much? whats turbo2 and cam2??? i just go to the pump down the road and start pumping the 115 octane fuel...

Old 01-23-2007, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

Your car wont run right with bad 02 sensors because the emmisions will be thrown off. Do you have anything to tune with right now because really thats gonna be the best way to make gains out of a race gas mix. Obviously your car will run better with it because you can run higher boost also. I think your car will ednd up running allittle more rich. Thats why i say tuning device will get the most cuz you can lean it out a bit more and get even more gains

Old 01-23-2007, 10:33 AM

I ran 93 octane then switch last summer 102 aviation leaded fuel and my AFRs dropped from ~11.6s to 10.1 so I needed to re tune the car for the new gas but the power was a big gain

Old 01-23-2007, 02:34 PM

i dont have anything to tune it currently. what options do i have for tuning. or anything besides a 500$ device? i always thought you could just take it to a dyno shop and they will run it and do it for you. but do you need the thing on your car for them to do it? is there any ways for me to pull my o2 sensors and clean them before i start running the mixed gas? i just kinda wanna run the mixed gas cuz i even noticed when i was on the east coast my car did have a slight difference between the 94 octane i found over there and the 91 we have around here. it ran a little rich but when i stomped on it, i could definitley notice the difference! and about my injectors.. how can i tell if they are oversized injectors?

Old 01-23-2007, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

look at them and see if you can read anything off them

Old 01-23-2007, 03:53 PM

they are 450cc... i was able to read it on the side. didnt know they would have that on there. darn stock injectors...

Old 01-23-2007, 04:45 PM

hey engineer.. sorry bout being all pissy last night, i was having a really bad day!!! i was supposed to get a job as a manager at mcdonalds yesterday... but when i started fillingout all the tax forms they were telling me instead they decided to make me a crew member for 2 bucks per hour less pay... and i was like, you told me i was gonna be a manager! and they were like well, sorry for the change and misunderstanding. so i told them to f*** off! and that ruined my day... i have been expecting to have a good job for a week now and they shoved it in my face!!

Quick Reply: running race gas