2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Same problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 09:02 PM
Default Same problem

Well i went to clean my throttle body. I got some cleaner in my intake man. My car shot out lots of smoke and stuff. Now my car idles at like 1.5 or 2 rpms. Took it to the dealership and they can't figure out the problem. What could it be? Check engine light use to be on, now its not. And its not giving any codes.

Old 02-27-2006, 04:42 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Same problem

What did you use to clean the TB and how did you do it? Have you tried running fuel system cleaner in the gas? Have you tried spraying more cleaner in the TB? Also did you possibly bump the BISS and change it accidentally?

Old 03-01-2006, 05:55 PM

I have ran cleaner, it didn't help. I've looked at the biss screw, and its stuck and won't turn at all. I've also haven't sprayed anymore cleaner in the tb since. I found a tb at a junk yard, And was just thinking of replacing the whole thing. You think i should try a new throttle body?

Old 03-01-2006, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

Make sure the new TB is clean and everything appears to be functional if you're going that route. also check the BISS and make sure it turns in the new one.

Old 03-02-2006, 01:34 AM

Did the idle drop back to normal after a while? Also try disconnecting the the Battery and reseting the ECU so it can start fresh. When you sprayed cleaner in the TB the ECU had to compensente for the extra liquid (Less air in coming at Idle) in the intake. Also if you have a datalogger or something you can retrieve the codes from the ECU memory. The light goes off when the condition causing the light to trip is no longer present. If the idle is still high check the ISC motor. If crap was loosen up it could be jamming the opening of the ISC valve allowing more air to enter thereby causing the ECU to adjust fuel to compensate.

I cleaned out the TB about a year ago in my 93 GS. I went with two methods though. First was with the TB on the car. If you are going to go that route you need to have the engine running and keep the RPM's up. Mine did the same thing and wanted to Idle at like 1.5 to 2K (still does but that is another probelem). From what I read in the Tech Manuals you need to be careful where you spray the cleaner. If it gets into a certain port with in the TB it can cause problems. I recommend that if you really want to clean your TB take it off the car. It is not hard to do. Only 4 bolts, four vacuum lines and the lines for the heating system. Clean it well and let it dry. Most BISS screws are set at the factory and should not need to be moved (or so the books say) I have had to adjust mine every now and then but I think I have multiple problems as my car is 12 years old and the sensors are starting to wear out. These are the instructions for a 92-94 Talon with a 2.0 DOHC engine. Same for Mitsus as well though

THROTTLE BODY (THROTTLE VALVE AREA)
CLEANING NllRCK
(1) Warm up the engine, then stop it.
(2) Remove the air intake hose from the throttle body.
(3) Spray cleaning solvent into the valve through the throttle
body intake port and leave it for about 5 minutes.
(4) Start the engine, race it several times and idle it for about 1
minute. If the idling speed becomes unstable slightly open
the throttle valve to keep the engine running.
(5) If the throttle valve deposits are not removed, repeat steps
(3) and (4).
(6) Attach the air intake hose.
(7) Disconnect the battery terminal for 10 seconds or more,
and then reconnect it.
(8) Adjust the idle speed control and throttle position sensor.